New gun finished for this season

Supercracker

Had a plan for this year to have one gun to use for everything all the way through the season. So, because of my interest in the subject, I decided to try to recreate a gun like a very late 18th or very early 19th century Cracker Cowboy would have been carrying during that time period. They had been described as having carried guns that had been shortened for use on horseback and I think it's likely that they would have liked smoothbores for their versatility.

I also, because this gun will likely see a LOT of abuse, wanted to use this build as an exercise in artificial aging. I don't normally post pics of my builds but I'm particularly pleased with how the aging process turned out. I still need to do some engraving on the lock and sideplate and I might add a patchbox.

Late 18thC NE Fowler, 12Ga, with 34" barrel (the longest that can reasonably be loaded on horseback), Carbine style RR pipe, saddle leather buttplate, aged to represent being carried around in the swamp for maybe 10 or 20 years.

RS1s.jpg

LS2s.jpg

Muzzle1s.jpg

Butts.jpg

RSs.jpg

LSs.jpg

Forestocks.jpg

TGs.jpg

BPs.jpg

It'll shoot too. rnds at ~30yds.
20130818_102921.jpg

Naturally, as soon as it was finished and a couple of days before we can hunt again I go and severely tear my bicep and will be pretty much out for the majority of the season after my surgery on Tuesday. But I'll be getting a lot of engraving practice I guess. lol It'll be hitting the swamp about mid November.

Last edited:

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
That`s a good lookin` utility gun. It looks tough.

Supercracker

Thanks. That was the idea. Kind of like a 1785 version of the truck gun.

Barry Duggan

Real nice, looks like a real gun.

Apex Predator

I love it! Great work! How does she kick shooting round balls? What caliber ball would that be, and how many grains in weight? .68?