2017 Official Tennessee Football Thread

Unicoidawg

Staff member
Note: There will be an official thread for every team that has a big enough following here on GON. Most of us regulars have been here long enough to know who cheers for who and what not. These threads are meant for the fans of that school... That being said you can post in these threads if you are not for that school, just make make sure it is in a positive way. There will be no trash or smack talk tolerated.... This is your warning... and violators will be dealt with swiftly. Only one thread per team, any others found will be deleted once they are found. We enjoy the smack talk at times from rivals and such but these thread will not be used for that purpose..Carry on in the other threads as you wish as long as it's within the forum rules. We want the forum members to have a place to go talk about their football team without having to deal with smack talk from rival fans. We can all hold off of the nonsense in these threads, there are plenty of others for that types stuff. Infractions will be issued for any nonsense. Consider these threads to be like the "On Topic" forum and treat them as such.

joepuppy

GBO! Here's to another great season of Vol football.

I'm hoping for the best, but worried about the QB position. I wish I could see more promise as compared to last year's team, but the starters lost on both offense and defense and the loss (quit the team) of Jalen Hurd has to hurt.... :huh:

westcobbdog

I'm hoping for the best, but worried about the QB position. I wish I could see more promise as compared to last year's team, but the starters lost on both offense and defense and the loss (quit the team) of Jalen Hurd has to hurt.... :huh:

Who are your returning qb's and do any have playing time or real experience?
After watching Eason struggle last year it reinforced the fact that its tough to win with a rookie qb.

BuckNasty83

4* Quinten Dormady from Tx looks to be the guy to beat out. He's not a Fr. He's a Jr. He can make all the throws, has a high football IQ, and commands the offense. He's no Dobbs, but he can run. RS fresh Jarret Guarantano is the other guy I actually elected to succeed Dobbs. He was the #1 dual threat qb coming out of high school 2 years ago. He's a great runner with with a strong arm. Unlike Dobbs, he can make all the throws. Butch has mentioned running a 2 qb system. And order to keep one from transferring, I think we may see some of that. It's a great problem to have and I wouldn't be surprised to see both in the opener against GT. A guy to look out for in the future is Will McBride. A 3* qb who has gotten a lot of talk around campus.

Our o line should be a solid unit. They have been playing together since they were freshmen. Though we already lost OL Chance for the season. He will get a medical RS.
We are set at RB with John Kelly, 5* TY Chandler, 4* Carlin Fils-Aime and 3* Tim Jordan is impressing everyone as a freshman.
WR we are set up good, returning guys like Jennings who was a superstar last year. The guy is mean, he plays very physical and is clutch. Tyler Byrd, Callaway, RS Sr Josh Smith, Brandon Johnson, Latrell Williams , and Princeton Fant round out who should be contributing at WR.

So in reality, we only lose 3 guys from offense. Dobbs, Kamara, and Josh Malone. Hurd was pulled during the GA game for show boating, quit on the team in SC. He was never a factor last year. Funny as he was on his way to be UT all time leading rusher

Defense we lose 3 guys, who was already out all or most of last season except
Barnett. Sutton and Jalen Reeves Maybin missed most of the season anyway, so we won't miss them much.
The rest of the defense is returning and this is a defense, minus Barnett, that is as talented as I've seen at UT since the golden days. The were just plagued with injury last year. D Line is filthy if they can stay healthy. Aside from the LB spots, I'm not really worried about the defense. We have Kirkland returning at LB who is a baller, but missed half last season. Jumper was solid, still waiting on Bill Bates son, Dillon to come out of his shell and start healthy. The secondary should be improved, CB hopefully improves with the addition of Shaq Wiggins.

UT is not as bad off as some think. I think with the addition of a solid passing attack, we will be a better offense. And if the d stays healthy, we'll be fine. I expect us to be in the EAST discussion.

But what about Dobbs, Kanara, Barnette, Malone, Hurd a new OC bkah, blah, blah..

Did ANYONE expect us to win a NC the year after Manning left? Just saying

We are now witnessing UT have continuity. Butch has recruited well enough at the right spots, that we can simply reload. Last year was not a star studded class, but that's because we weren't going after skill guys, we were adding needed depth. UT will be fine. Unless we get riddled by injuries(16 guys) again. I am worried about GT hurting some guys with cut blocks

joepuppy

I'm enjoying not being over-hyped by the media this year. I think it will pay off for us. For some reason I have a hunch that Guarantano is the right man for the job at QB. But Dormandy does have some live game reps under his belt.

joepuppy

The triple option is rough to defend.

joepuppy

Bump the Big Orange back up top. I've waited months to say it: IT'S FOOTBALL TIME IN TENNESSEE!!!! Loud enough for those in the back.

BuckNasty83

The loss of Kirkland hurts. Not only for this game, but possibly the season. His backup, Colton Jumper is a former walk on. He's OK, but he won't fill those shoes. Richardson shouldn't be as big of an impact on the OL.