Braves stink because they have no pitching

Horns

Man it's hard to watch the Braves. Starting pitching is atrocious. Got a few decent arms in the pen. No closer whatsoever.

Where are all these young pitchers that we always hear about? So much for competing in their first season at Sun Trust.

biggdogg

Not sure what your watching, but outside of Teheran, the starting staff has been pretty good. Dickey and Folty have been very good. Newcomb (one of those young arms you referred to) has had his growing pains, but is showing promise. He just has to cut down on the walks. The pen has been terrible for the most part lately with Jose Ramirez being the only real consistent arm.

And you'll get to see another of those young arms, likely Sims, on Tuesday.

westcobbdog

Folty looked good last night. I like him in the rotation mix where as Julio is gonna throw a few HR balls each game. His arm slot makes his pitches too flat. Big Newcomb may be a starter next year along with Sims who goes tonight. We need a Darvish type top end rotation guy badly, but who to trade?

biggdogg

Gonna have to give up a few prospects in a package with Adams and/or Markakis most likely. Darvish is the only front line starter hitting the market this off-season. Pen needs help some kinda bad. Outside of Freeman, Vizcaino and Ramirez, the pen is hot garbage. Coppy has already mentioned pen upgrades are a priority come December.

westcobbdog

I like Adams but everyone is dropping benders on him now, being very careful with any sort of fastball. Suspect his trade value was gold 45 days ago but is now bronze.

biggdogg

I like Adams but everyone is dropping benders on him now, being very careful with any sort of fastball. Suspect his trade value was gold 45 days ago but is now bronze.

Probably so. I would wait until the offseason to move him. His value will increase when you start getting the playoff hopefuls involved and not just the legitimate contenders.

westcobbdog

Heck how about keeping some of these guys like M. Adams and B. Phillips, build with them and then add some real pitchers by spending some $$ in free agency or thru a trade or two. We are the Walmart of baseball teams, so cheap.

biggdogg

I could see keeping Phillips as an option. He has played lights out at 3B. But how much does he have in the tank? He's been fighting leg injuries all season. No way Adams stays. Freddie is the 1B and Adams is a liability anywhere else. Not to mention he would just be in Acuna's way in the OF. Either Markakis or Kemp will get moved this offseason to make room for the kid.

As for the pitching situation. Darvish is the only top tier starter hitting the market this season. Sale can become a free agent IF Boston declines his option. I seriously doubt that happens. So the only way we get a front line starter is through a trade or two. And Adams is probably the biggest trade chip we have at the ML level.

Meriwether Mike

We traded all the talent for pitching for the future two years ago. Looks like we need some better scouts.

Coenen

We traded all the talent for pitching for the future two years ago. Looks like we need some better scouts.
All what talent(and Dan Uggla)? That group of high dollar guys(and BJ Upton) who imploded?

So far we've seen Wisler, Blair, Newcomb and Sims, and of those 4 I'd say only Wisler and Blair are really what they're going to be. They've still got a lot of young guys coming up, it's going to be a long, and sometimes unpleasant, wait though.

https://www.minorleagueball.com/2016/11/18/13681446/atlanta-braves-top-20-prospects-for-2017

biggdogg

Melvin Upton (hot garbage), Justin Upton (inconsistent, stikes out a ton), Jason Heyward (over hyped and inconsistent), Andrelton Simmons (amazing, but declining defense with absolutely no bat), Craig Kimbrel. Outside of Kimbrel, what talent are you referring to??

Latest posts