Its time for our first chigger and tick thread !!!

Browning Slayer

Official Voice Of The Dawgs !
I'm going to have to break down and give Nic's remedy a try but my clothes are still going to get the Permethrin treatment.

Been doing it for years but at the end of the day, Permethrin is on my clothes and I've been bug free for years!

sid52j

Gamehide Clothing

Anyone have an opinion or experience with Gamehide Hunting gear? It is supposed to repell tics and mosquitoes and stay embedded in the fabric !

Permitchaser

OK about 15 years ago I had a small seed tick on my ankle after a shower and yard work. Even though I had on long pants tucked into my socks. I pulled it off and a week later I contracted Spotless Rocky Mountain fever or Erliochosis. I almost died before they figured out what I had
When I go to the farm I wear rubber boots with pant in. Spry with Deet and where a long sleeve shirt. For hunting I have a camo bug suit

I am going to look at Tractor to get some permithrin

DouglasB.

This may be TMI for you fella's, but oh well...

I've used spray my whole life... and always had to pull ticks off me. So I started using the apple cider vinegar a day keeps the ticks away trick recently. Did it every day for a month before my first venture into the woods to scout.

Pulled 13 off of me, and found a seed tick a couple days later that had embedded in a dark spot down below the waistline. That was NOT fun. For me... or my normally compassionate wife.

Needless to say, my clothes will be treated again on Saturday before with Perm before scouting again on Sunday.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
Folks the vinegar works like a charm for some people. Several here swear by it.

For the rest of us. Use something to repel the critters.

rvick

My wife gardens day in and day out . She often gets stung by Saddleback's and it's very painful for quite a while. Last week when she was stung, I talked her into using the cream that my Dr. had prescribed for me for redbug bites that works so good. Within 10 minutes the stinging and burning was gone and didn't come back. Good stuff.

fishman1957

I've been taking a couple tablespoons acv with a tablespoon of local honey in a little ice cold water for years no ticks and you grow to like the taste but it takes awhile !!!!!!

oldfella1962

I honestly only had ticks on me in late spring/early summer. I never had any this time of year until I noticed I might have one on my back (where I can't reach it to do anything about it!) so I have to wait until I get home and have my ex-combat medic son get it off. I knew all his army medical training would come in handy for something! Hopefully it's just a bug bite & not a tick anyway, but I'll find out in a few hours. Blasted ticks! I hate them!

rosewood

Yep. There`s a bunch of tablespoon fulls in a bottle of apple cider vinegar. All you need is one a day.

Just curious, how much do all those chemical keeper-offers cost? And who knows what long term damage does it do to the human body? Especially to children?

Vinegar ain`t gonna hurt you.

Will drinking pickle juice have the same effect?

rosewood

I am one of those whose body emits a high level of carbon dioxide and uric acid something or other that makes us more attractive to insects. .

Not doubting you, but how do you know this? Have you been able to measure this somehow?

Thanks,

Rosewood

rosewood

It does for me. It`s flavored vinegar.

Good. I love pickle juice (dill only) and can easily take a swig. I have been taking a teaspoon of cider vinegar this last week, which I don't have much issue with, it isn't bad, I do like it on my turnip greens and or butter beans. However, the straight vinegar does burn going down. Have to chase it immediately with water. I also tried mixing it with water, but still burns some. Will see if it works for me.

I did some reading on it, and it seems to have tons of other health benefits other than repelling biting critters.

Thanks,

Rosewood

rosewood

Sat in stand yesterday, had 2 mosquitoes land on my arm. Knocked the 1st one off, the 2nd one must be dumb, she walked along my arrow release poking her snout in the fabric. Finally she got on my arm and appeared to poke her snout in my skin, I finally knocked her off and she didn't come back. Not sure if she ever penetrated or not. So at this point, I am unsure if it works. I can say, that is all that I saw though, no other ones bothered me, not sure if it is the weather or the cider vinegar. Guess I will have to see as the season progresses.

Rosewood

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
Not doubting you, but how do you know this? Have you been able to measure this somehow?

Thanks,

Rosewood

Yes. When I first had kidney stones 25 years ago tests showed I have 4-5 times too much uric acid.

I have always been extremely effected by insects. When we were kids I would get a dozen chigger bites and my brothers zero.

rosewood

Sat in stand yesterday between 85-90 degrees and not the first insect bothered me. Can't say for sure that the vinegar is working, but it certainly seems to. Wished I had learned this years ago. I sweated a lot, wonder if the sweat laced with cider vinegar repels them at a distance. I didn't even see one.

However, I have yet to see a deer or hog this season in person. I have them on camera, but have yet to see one while I am there. I hope it isn't repelling the game animals also.

Rosewood

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
Bumping this one up from last summer.
Y’all do whatever works best for you and keep them durn critters off of you and your kids.

Latest posts