Lucas Sims: Is time to bring him up?

drhunter1

He is pitching lights out at Gwinnett. He's not walking the yard either. On the other hand, the Matt Whissler experiment may be coming to an end. His command of the strike zone is questionable at best and he walks way too many batters which has been his issue all along. I can see the Braves giving him a few more starts but if he doesn't show improvement and continues to give up walls and runs he may be assigned.

Lucas has demonstrated good command of his fastball and has improved his breaking stuff. I believe it's time to bring him up and see if all of the hard work will translate into wins.

Thoughts?

Coenen

I think they'll see how the Newcomb experiment comes out first. Sims was a little rough there through the second half of May, but his most recent start was solid. We'll see him sooner or later. Especially if Dickey can't right the ship.

biggdogg

Wisler was not added to the roster. He was the 26th man that was allowed by MLB rules for the double header yesterday. Newcomb took Colon's roster spot for the time being, although when he comes off the DL, it will be a bullpen role most likely. Dickey showed impressive improvement in his last start with Flowers behind the plate instead of Suzuki. Sims still need polish and right now is a September call up at best. A lot of Wisler's struggles can be attributed to being called up way too soon. I realize his call up was out of necessity, but the kid has the stuff, but he will need time to undo the damage to his confidence over the last couple years that should have been spent in Gwinnett.

Duff

Went to the game last night. Sims has MLB stuff. Looked great

DannyW

Short answer? YES

He now has 128 - thats 128 (!) - starts in the minor leagues.

I admit that I don't fully understand how pitching against lesser talent (ie minor leagues) helps them get better faster than pitching against better talent (ie major leagues) but if he is not ready after 128 starts in the minors, when will he be ready?

drhunter1

Short answer? YES

He now has 128 - thats 128 (!) - starts in the minor leagues.

I admit that I don't fully understand how pitching against lesser talent (ie minor leagues) helps them get better faster than pitching against better talent (ie major leagues) but if he is not ready after 128 starts in the minors, when will he be ready?

I agree. Hes got good stuff. I think he needs to come up and take whatever bumps and bruises comes his way an fight through them.

biggdogg

This is my honest opinion so take it for what it's worth. Coppollella would be wise to trade Sims now and see what kind of return he can get. I will admit, Sims is pitching well in Gwinnett. But, he is only recording 18-20% of his outs on the ground. That would be a recipe for disaster in SunTrust Park. Teheran is a similar pitcher in that he is a contact pitcher that records most of his outs on fly balls. He has always struggled with the long ball, but when he is right, he can be dominant. Just look at his home/road splits this season. I can all but guarantee that had the suits had any idea how SunTrust played, Teheran would have been traded last December. The rotation has to be built around sinkerball type pitchers that can keep the ball out of the jet stream and out of the seats. Sims isn't that kind of pitcher.

Duff

This is my honest opinion so take it for what it's worth. Coppollella would be wise to trade Sims now and see what kind of return he can get. I will admit, Sims is pitching well in Gwinnett. But, he is only recording 18-20% of his outs on the ground. That would be a recipe for disaster in SunTrust Park. Teheran is a similar pitcher in that he is a contact pitcher that records most of his outs on fly balls. He has always struggled with the long ball, but when he is right, he can be dominant. Just look at his home/road splits this season. I can all but guarantee that had the suits had any idea how SunTrust played, Teheran would have been traded last December. The rotation has to be built around sinkerball type pitchers that can keep the ball out of the jet stream and out of the seats. Sims isn't that kind of pitcher.

I see where you are coming from. Bravos better develop some young sinker ballers. No big time free agent pitcher will want to sign in the ATL. See Cincy and Colorado

biggdogg

By my count, that's 4 taters in roughly 13 innings so far...

biggdogg

At the kids current pace, he might catcher Teheran in another month...

westcobbdog

Sims needs to work smarter to get past his early inning troubles and I think he will eventually be a 3-4-5 rotation guy. One TV pundit mentioned his delivery is such that the batter tends to gets a good look at his release. Maybe his delivery needs tweeking where he comes a little more over the top vs 3/4.

biggdogg

One big tweak he needs is keeping the ball down. A lot of his breaking stuff has been cement mixers in the middle of the zone.