securing water spigot in brick

Luke0927

One of my water spigot heads finally sprung a leak from getting pulled on to much. (kids watering animals moving hose etc...)

I have a core drill hole in the brick and I had secured the spigot with the 2 screws and mortared the hole up and it held the 2 tapcons from the spigot, it has lasted 7 years.

Should I just re-mortar or is there a resin or epoxy that may work better?

CC Rider

Hilti HY-250 will hold it. I think there's a Whitecap near you. They may have something cheaper that comes out of a single tube. Maybe a Simpson or Redhead product. You could also try Fastenal if there's one near you.

Luke0927

Thanks for the info! I was not familiar with Whitecap just looked them up and there is one over here, also a Fastenal too.

WayneB

careful with the epoxies if you ever need to change the body of the spigot.
You may want to consider epoxying the mounting holes only so they will accept a new fastener.

Jeff C.

Chief Grass Master
Another precautionary measure you can use to prevent that in the future is to place another anchor about a foot from the spigot in the brick. Using that anchor and a small rope, strap, etc., I strain relief about 2' of slack coming off my hose from spigot to that anchor point. Your spigot itself is no longer having any strain from hose being pulled on.

Crakajak

Daily Driveler News Team
See if you can brace the pipe from the inside to help secure it from moving in and out.

yellowfin

at my house it appears the previous owners used hydraulic cement probably something like dryloc fast plug, seems to be doing well.

Big7

The Oracle
at my house it appears the previous owners used hydraulic cement probably something like dryloc fast plug, seems to be doing well.

AKA Pourox. Polyester with no sand or gravel.

Strongest thing you can get. No anchors or screws needed.

Oldstick

See if you can brace the pipe from the inside to help secure it from moving in and out.

Yep, had one going through a block foundation that got pulled and sprung a leak. The the through hole was fortunately small enough to put a radiator hose clamp on the inside to keep it from moving. I pulled the faucet back snug from underneath the house then tightened the clamp against the concrete.

Luke0927

Thanks folks good ideas. What I would like to do is find me a quality metal hose reel and mount that on the wall that would then take the torque off the spigot. I was shocked at the price for quality metal hose reel!

It was in pretty good what actually failed was the 1/2" male adapter from the spigot glued to the pvc (glue slipped a little), luckily it was pushing the water back out. If it hadn't have done that could have ran for a long time before I caught it.

The flange on the spigot head is pretty small so when you screw it it your going back in the same hole you drilled for your pipe. A wider flange and you could actually tapcon it right in the brick. I should just look for a larger head but these have been good spigots never freeze so going to put it back on.

Crakajak

Daily Driveler News Team
Get you a frost free thru the wall spigot.Don't have to worry about it freezing either.

sinclair1

This is what I did, just some chalk and a collar clamp on the inside. Most of the pressure is pulling, so the clamp is the trick.

Crakajak

Daily Driveler News Team
This is what I did, just some chalk and a collar clamp on the inside. Most of the pressure is pulling, so the clamp is the trick.

I braced the pipe right above the last 90 degree turn so it cant pull out. Like you just added caulk and issues ended.

Lukikus2

Thanks folks good ideas. What I would like to do is find me a quality metal hose reel and mount that on the wall that would then take the torque off the spigot. I was shocked at the price for quality metal hose reel!

It was in pretty good what actually failed was the 1/2" male adapter from the spigot glued to the pvc (glue slipped a little), luckily it was pushing the water back out. If it hadn't have done that could have ran for a long time before I caught it.

The flange on the spigot head is pretty small so when you screw it it your going back in the same hole you drilled for your pipe. A wider flange and you could actually tapcon it right in the brick. I should just look for a larger head but these have been good spigots never freeze so going to put it back on.

Look up "Quick bib". You will never have that problem again.