Anyone else against baiting period

George30022

Baiting during the season; I say no

"Baiting" put down Corn, a Mineral Lick, a Trophy Rock and hunt directly over any of it; no. Place it all just over 200 yards away , AND - out of sight; that is fine. It encourages the animal to stay near/on your property and if it chooses (fate) to wander away , then that is it's good fortune. If it wanders into your hunting area - then better for the Hunter.
South GA - why would you ever need to Bait? Farms every 1000 yards , It's a Buffet for them down south.

Longhorn 16

I like to bait the other hunters. Ground scraps and rub some 6" + trees. Don't let anyone know about this spot kinda deal. Doesn't take much to make an area look like it is prime.

Then you see who respects your secret spot.

Last edited:

DouglasB.

I disagree with it... but I know it aint my place to tell another man what he can/can't do as long as it's inside his legal rights.

I'm a "Live and let live" kinda guy.

saltysenior

I like to bait the other hunters. Ground scraps and rub some 6" + trees. Do let anyone know about this spot kinda deal. Doesn't take much to make an area look like it is prime.

Then you see who respects your secret spot.

fun,ain't it,,,,,then see 3 trucks parked there for 2 weeks :biggrin3:

huntersluck

As far as the original post I have never been one to hunt over corn or salt or food plots its just not my thing but I do not care if someone else wants to everybody has got their own way. To the point of baiting using tinks 69 or code blue or grunt calls or rattling is also baiting so this could go many ways.

rosewood

BowArrow

To the person, like my date, baiting is a no no and gives hunters a bad name. Deer hunters are a small majority of the population and therefore do not control the ballot box. The non hunters do not protest hunters using scent control, calls, camo, camera, etc. but they will protest using bait. I continue to bow hunt as I began in 1966 at Fort Stewart and that is with BDU camo, stand, bow and a lot of scouting. It is challenging and at almost 80 years old, I continue to put boots on the ground looking for that deer trail, rub or scrape.

Miguel Cervantes

Jedi Master
It seems that people like me on here are few and far between when it comes to baiting. I absolutely hate the idea of it. It's not hunting at all. Any bubba out there can dump a bag of corn on the ground and shoot a deer over it. To me it just gets more idiots out in the woods.

Calling a good percentage of GON members an idiot right out of the gates.

Man you sure do know how to make friends. :rofl:

I think baiting is stupid. (bear with me) :bounce::bounce:
I mean what kind of man does it take to call himself a hunter when he's sittin in a blind or tree overlooking a cornfield, an oak tree or a big ol loaded down persimmon tree? That is hunting over bait. Yeah, real man he is!! ::ke::bounce:

Maybe you get the point, possibly not, but it is all relative to where you hunt and what your existing conditions are. I am glad you have the most productive ecosystem in Georgia to hunt. Not all are that way.

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
I think I don't care what some one thinks about my skilz or patience.
Think I'll go cook me some deer sausage & eggs & plan where to place my new feeder.

across the river

Calling a good percentage of GON members an idiot right out of the gates.

Man you sure do know how to make friends. :rofl:

I think baiting is stupid. (bear with me) :bounce::bounce:
I mean what kind of man does it take to call himself a hunter when he's sittin in a blind or tree overlooking a cornfield, an oak tree or a big ol loaded down persimmon tree? That is hunting over bait. Yeah, real man he is!! ::ke::bounce:

Maybe you get the point, possibly not, but it is all relative to where you hunt and what your existing conditions are. I am glad you have the most productive ecosystem in Georgia to hunt. Not all are that way.

Hunting is one of the few sports or activities out there where you can't really easily determine who the "better" hunter is. If you and I play golf, the guitar, the banjo, poker, or even bass fish, it wouldn't take long in most situations to determine who can do what, and who is better at it. With deer hunting, you can't really do that(especially comparing different regions), so people want to get on here, for whatever reason, and tell everyone why their way is better and how good of a hunter they are. Now over the past three decades I have hunted across various parts of this state and others, I have found there to be what I would consider good, great, and not so great hunters in every group. I know a guy with a wall full of what would be very good Georgia deer, and I wouldn't really consider him to be a "great" hunter by any stretch. He has access to some amazing family property that doesn't really get hunted , and it isn't difficult at all to sit on that place and pass up bucks that most hunters in Georgia would salivate over. I know another guy that has traveled all over the country and killed some "huuuuge" deer with outfitters. Do I consider him a good hunter. No, but bless him, he has the money to go hunt pretty much wherever he wants and has the deer (all fair chase outfitters I might add) to show for it. I have another buddy in extreme North Georgia that I would consider to be a great hunter. He kills mature deer, very often, on public land in the mountains. Are the bucks anything like the other two guy's, no. However, that boy can hunt, and would run circles around the other two all things being equal. Another friend in South Georgia has a manicured place he puts tons of time, effort, and money into. He has pictures of virtually every deer on the place, passes up bucks until they are really old, and has killed a pile of good deer on his place. He plants plenty of food plots, but also puts out and hunts over corn. Does that make him a "bad" hunter, no not at all. He puts in hundreds and hundreds of hours into his place to manage and produce about as good of deer as I think you could get in his part of Georgia. You can't say he is a "bad hunter" because of the corn, but then praise the guy who happens to shoot a good buck that he had no idea even existed on the place until it came by chasing some random doe that just happened to walk by. I would have more respect for the guy who killed a deer with his noise in a corn pile that he passed up over the years, than I would a guy would just happens to kill a buck chasing a doe from the neighbors property. That is just complete luck. At least the other guy put some effort into killing the deer.

The bottom line, there are "good hunters" and "bad hunters" in every category, and you will never be able to quantify them into groups no matter how long you argue back and forth. The best thing people can do is worry about themselves, and quit trying to come up with a way to justify why they are a "better" hunter than the other guy. If it it legal, do what makes you happy. After all, it is just deer hunting. There are a lot bigger things to worry about in this world than whether or not you should hunt over corn.

Timbo85

I been the president of O.P.L. Club for several yrs now I kill a few 3 to 7 good bucks every yr over bait and food plots and row crop fields , I don't believe in tinks or any other deer urin for that matter , it taste terrible no matter what you chase it with and it takes to long to stop and pee on all the scrapes ridin to my huntin spots , I hunt off my 3 wheeler between 1 and 4 am , I have my q-beam permanently attached to it and my 223 never leaves it either , I ride mostly huntin club roads when I can get around or knock the gates down and just start shining lookin for the feeders and cameras I have my card reader to look at the pics on the cameras I find to zero in on big 1's I don't kill more than 2 a night because that's all I can haul with my 120 quart beer cooler on the back rack so in short I love the ppl that take the time to put the bait out for me and all members of the great O.P.L. Club my hat is off to you fellers

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
I been the president of O.P.L. Club for several yrs now I kill a few 3 to 7 good bucks every yr over bait and food plots and row crop fields , I don't believe in tinks or any other deer urin for that matter , it taste terrible no matter what you chase it with and it takes to long to stop and pee on all the scrapes ridin to my huntin spots , I hunt off my 3 wheeler between 1 and 4 am , I have my q-beam permanently attached to it and my 223 never leaves it either , I ride mostly huntin club roads when I can get around or knock the gates down and just start shining lookin for the feeders and cameras I have my card reader to look at the pics on the cameras I find to zero in on big 1's I don't kill more than 2 a night because that's all I can haul with my 120 quart beer cooler on the back rack so in short I love the ppl that take the time to put the bait out for me and all members of the great O.P.L. Club my hat is off to you fellers

Your welcome Tim !!
You dropped your wallet loading the deer on our place. U missed the black out camera that got your pic as u relived your self. LEO also retrieved that.
G/L
:bounce:

Timbo85

10 4 yalls club was the next place I was gonna look for it I'll be there 1 or 2 nights next wk I'll let y'all know if the feeders need to be filled up if you would just put my wallet on the South Gate where the key is hid at thank you sir

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
The feeders are full all the seed & fertilzer got. We put it on your card. Also got the fuel for the tractors.
Thanks.

sghoghunter

"Baiting" put down Corn, a Mineral Lick, a Trophy Rock and hunt directly over any of it; no. Place it all just over 200 yards away , AND - out of sight; that is fine. It encourages the animal to stay near/on your property and if it chooses (fate) to wander away , then that is it's good fortune. If it wanders into your hunting area - then better for the Hunter.
South GA - why would you ever need to Bait? Farms every 1000 yards , It's a Buffet for them down south.

So you abide by the northern regulations by putting it 200yd and out of site then ask why would we even need bait sites,don't make much sense. Have you ever hunted down here where in the eastern part of south ga there may be many many miles of nothing but pine trees between that "buffet" you talk about. The central part may be fields next to fields and they may be planted in tobacco,peppers,cabbage or maybe tomatoes,that's a real good food source huh. I will go ahead and tell ya that it's a whole lot easier to kill a deer in big woods away from farm fields

Wanderlust

Hunting is one of the few sports or activities out there where you can't really easily determine who the "better" hunter is. If you and I play golf, the guitar, the banjo, poker, or even bass fish, it wouldn't take long in most situations to determine who can do what, and who is better at it. With deer hunting, you can't really do that(especially comparing different regions), so people want to get on here, for whatever reason, and tell everyone why their way is better and how good of a hunter they are. Now over the past three decades I have hunted across various parts of this state and others, I have found there to be what I would consider good, great, and not so great hunters in every group. I know a guy with a wall full of what would be very good Georgia deer, and I wouldn't really consider him to be a "great" hunter by any stretch. He has access to some amazing family property that doesn't really get hunted , and it isn't difficult at all to sit on that place and pass up bucks that most hunters in Georgia would salivate over. I know another guy that has traveled all over the country and killed some "huuuuge" deer with outfitters. Do I consider him a good hunter. No, but bless him, he has the money to go hunt pretty much wherever he wants and has the deer (all fair chase outfitters I might add) to show for it. I have another buddy in extreme North Georgia that I would consider to be a great hunter. He kills mature deer, very often, on public land in the mountains. Are the bucks anything like the other two guy's, no. However, that boy can hunt, and would run circles around the other two all things being equal. Another friend in South Georgia has a manicured place he puts tons of time, effort, and money into. He has pictures of virtually every deer on the place, passes up bucks until they are really old, and has killed a pile of good deer on his place. He plants plenty of food plots, but also puts out and hunts over corn. Does that make him a "bad" hunter, no not at all. He puts in hundreds and hundreds of hours into his place to manage and produce about as good of deer as I think you could get in his part of Georgia. You can't say he is a "bad hunter" because of the corn, but then praise the guy who happens to shoot a good buck that he had no idea even existed on the place until it came by chasing some random doe that just happened to walk by. I would have more respect for the guy who killed a deer with his noise in a corn pile that he passed up over the years, than I would a guy would just happens to kill a buck chasing a doe from the neighbors property. That is just complete luck. At least the other guy put some effort into killing the deer.

The bottom line, there are "good hunters" and "bad hunters" in every category, and you will never be able to quantify them into groups no matter how long you argue back and forth. The best thing people can do is worry about themselves, and quit trying to come up with a way to justify why they are a "better" hunter than the other guy. If it it legal, do what makes you happy. After all, it is just deer hunting. There are a lot bigger things to worry about in this world than whether or not you should hunt over corn.

Great post:cheers: