A dozen traps in the dirt! Updated 1/10

mpwarrak

Well, I set one trap a couple weeks ago and already got 2 yotes, but just now set a dozen mb-550s and a dogproof coon trap. All on my 5 acres we moved to almost a year ago. Don't really have time to set other properties right now and check every day...

They are baited with a wide array of bait, from commercial baits and lures like O'Gorman's Powder River and some Carmen's lures, to natural stuff like chickens, squirrel tails, deer bones, and even mice trapped in the shed!

Check this thread for updates / catches (if any :D) Just heard a yote sing outside, let's hope he's hungry!

Last edited:

SemperFi

Good luck man. I’m headed out Tuesday to set some here. Little worried with it getting in the low twenties. Most of the time it seems the critters hunker down when it’s that cold down here.

mpwarrak

Yeah, nothing this morning... none of my bait stolen either, so that's good.

mpwarrak

Wow, 15 degrees this morning, about 22 now. My razor thin trap bedding technique worked though, frozen ground not a factor. Picked up this smaller male yote, 30 lbs.

Photo0251.jpg
Photo0252.jpg

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
Very cool.....looking forward to seeing updates :cool:

T-N-T

Catch em all. Then come to my lease!

Nice catch. Would you please describe your "razor thin" trap bedding technique? Maybe others can benefit from using it. It's always good to know how to deal with tough conditions such as rain and/or below-freezing temperatures.

mpwarrak

Another coyote this morning. Out of a dozen traps I've caught 4 yotes this year on the same trap!! And I have other traps within 30 feet?! Go figure. 30 lb male again.

Sorry for the tiny picture...

Photo0253.jpg

mpwarrak

Philip, also see my rant-post in your other thread... :D

Yes, I loosen the dirt where the trap will go, set and twist the trap into the dirt some, place a screen pan cover on, and sift a thin layer of fine dirt over, just enough to cover so you can't see the screen. I use a stick to spread the dirt. I leave the dog uncovered so I know where the pan is while setting up guides, then cover it last. I guide with a brushy branch on each side, then leaves / pine straw / grass up to the trap jaws, then fade into the pan with some crumpled leaf / pine straw / grass shavings. So the pan looks like a nice quiet spot to step. I also make a couple other bare-dirt "steps" before the trap, so the animal has a couple nice bare-dirt places to step on and feel comfortable with.

By bedding the pan super thin, I've never had trouble with frozen traps. And the screen pan cover does a lot better with rain than wax paper or anything else that's solid, the screen just holds dirt and lets water drain... After a really hard rain, sometimes I will have to put a little more dirt over anything that got exposed, I do this when I check the traps, and usually just use a pinch of dirt with my fingers. (rubber glove preferred)
But there's no telling how many animals I've caught with parts of the trap exposed, in the dark they can't tell what's dirt and whats a black screen or dark metal pan...

Last edited:

SemperFi

Nice catches brother. Your doing awesome for just 5 acres.

mpwarrak

Well maybe 4 coyotes was the bulk of what was in the area, was hearing them howl almost every night, haven't heard them for several days now.
Did get this critter yesterday...

Photo0254.jpg