Thousands of Sandhill Cranes ?

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
There is a reason for that.

Yep. Wingtip vortices. All the birds at the end of the line have to do is just ride.

Haven't seen any in the 30024 yet but it's about time. Frogs were chirping in the swamp behind my office when I left work last night.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Yep. Wingtip vortices. All the birds at the end of the line have to do is just ride.

I always thought it was because there were more birds on that side. :huh:

EAGLE EYE 444

King Casanova
I love playing golf over the years with Sandhill Cranes at our place in Florida during my annual golfing vacation each year in July. These are beautiful and walk all around the patio and 99% of the time, they are always looking for food. I have seen a lot of new hatchlings over these years as well. These are not very afraid of people and people are not supposed to feed them BUT a lot of kids on vacation surely do every year.

A lot of people have never seen a Sandhill Crane up close to realize just how beautiful they really are. See some of the photos below of our resident Sandhill Cranes from back in 2011 and even up to just a couple of years ago.

The last photo is of three of them that had just came up to me on the patio and when they saw that I didn't have any food, they did an about face and went looking elsewhere. They roam the six golf courses every day and visit along the villas for handouts as well.

Attachments

• VACATION 2013 001.jpg
    VACATION 2013 001.jpg
    148.2 KB · Views: 59
  • VACATION 2013 006.jpg
    VACATION 2013 006.jpg
    237.5 KB · Views: 58
  • VACATION   2012 056.jpg
    VACATION 2012 056.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 58
  • VACATION   2012 054.jpg
    VACATION 2012 054.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 58
  • ORANGELAKE 2016 044.jpg
    ORANGELAKE 2016 044.jpg
    158.2 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Love that little gator photobombing the sandhill. :D

EAGLE EYE 444

King Casanova
Nic, it is amazing just how well that these cranes keep a very alert eye out for the gators because there are lots of gators, raccoons, armadillos, deer, turkeys, snakes, turtles, hawks, eagles, and doves and most any other critter known in the south. That little gator knew that he wanted to get his photo taken that day. :D NIC, I have some photos of gators that when I review them, I IMMEDIATELY THINK ABOUT YOU !!!!!

My Daughter is also a photographer and she really loves "Wildlife Photography" and she has amassed quite a library of sorts over the years while on vacation. When we get together, we try and review my photos and she gives me hints on how to get better photos because of angles, lighting, etc. I guess that is why I really got into using trail cameras as such back seven years ago.

turkeykirk

They must think Winter is over. A lot of them have been flying North the last week.

onedude

Is this early for them to be heading back north? Just saw them going south in December.
Doug
Jn. 3:16

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
Is this early for them to be heading back north? Just saw them going south in December.
Doug
Jn. 3:16

It is around these parts. I normally don't see them headed north until mid to late March.

baddave

i.m seeing them or at least hearing 'em every day .. once they roosted in the river bottom behind the house in kelleytown ga.. is there a season? i doubt it

JSnake

Useless Billy Bouncer
full-147-54374-sandhill3.jpg

I'm just GON leave this right here

Latest posts