Technology

matt79brown

Creationist or Evolutionist either one I have a question. Why the explosion of technology over the last couple hundred years? A 97 year old friend of mine passed away recently. He told me about his mother going to Texas from Georgia on a wagon pulled by horses when she was a kid (a means of transportation used world wide for thousands or millions of years depending on your stance) then later in her life at the age of 80 something she flew back on a jet airplane! Up until recently in human history mankind's way of living, traveling, communicating, and building never changed very much throughout history, then all of a sudden BOOM! What brought this on? Anyone got any ideas?

Artfuldodger

I was reading about the atomic bomb advancing to the hydrogen bomb. This from 1945 to 1952 I think. 1952 being the test date of the H-bomb which was 1,000 times more powerful.
Hard to believe man did this in the 40's-50's even.

Then right after WWII we started the race for rockets, jets, and space exploration.
Some of this without the help of computers even.

To look back at WWI and consider they were still using horses and swords to some extent.

Yeah, we've come along way in a short time.

Artfuldodger

Has the way human relations has evolved part of this same process? You know concerning civil rights, women's rights, welfare, not bombing civilians in war, doing away with imperialist advancements of other lands, accepting other religions, fare trade and the ethical treatment of laborers around the world, etc.

This exponential doubling in these matters as well? Maybe with advances in technology, we see a need or way in helping or overcoming. Education and indoctrination would play a part as well.

Israel

BANNED
I was reading about the atomic bomb advancing to the hydrogen bomb. This from 1945 to 1952 I think. 1952 being the test date of the H-bomb which was 1,000 times more powerful.
Hard to believe man did this in the 40's-50's even.

Then right after WWII we started the race for rockets, jets, and space exploration.
Some of this without the help of computers even.

To look back at WWI and consider they were still using horses and swords to some extent.

Yeah, we've come along way in a short time.

That's a good point vis a vis (I hardly ever get to use that) your next post. That part about human relations.

Really...what doesn't get quickly translated into better, cheaper, safer, more efficient ways of killing one another? A drone being flown from from Kansas (or some such), while pilot sipping coffee, has the capacity to wipe out a village in Afghanistan.

Something does indeed seem to have come a "long way", but I am not at all convinced it is the heart of man. Or the things he minds.

But, he sure likes to think so. As always.

Last edited:

WaltL1

That's a good point vis a vis (I hardly ever get to use that) your next post. That part about human relations.

Really...what doesn't get quickly translated into better, cheaper, safer, more efficient ways of killing one another? A drone being flown from from Kansas (or some such), while pilot sipping coffee, has the capacity to wipe out a village in Afghanistan.

Something does indeed seem to have come a "long way", but I am not at all convinced it is the heart of man. Or the things he minds.

But, he sure likes to think so. As always.
That's the scary part.
The more "sterile/non personal" war becomes combined with the capabilities of modern weapons = not good for humanity.
For example read/watch interviews of bomber pilots vs ground troops.
The ground troops are racked with PTSD, nightmares and in general a very different reaction to war having experienced the blood and guts up close and personal.
The bomber pilots in general will readily admit it was a completely different experience for them. Not that it was a "good" experience just very different with far less long lasting effects on themselves.

matt79brown

I never heard of a wagon crash that killed 200 people at once. Maybe 'em bearded Amish fellers know something we don't. Then again technology was pretty nice when it came to my appendectomy.

Israel

BANNED
That's the scary part.
The more "sterile/non personal" war becomes combined with the capabilities of modern weapons = not good for humanity.
For example read/watch interviews of bomber pilots vs ground troops.
The ground troops are racked with PTSD, nightmares and in general a very different reaction to war having experienced the blood and guts up close and personal.
The bomber pilots in general will readily admit it was a completely different experience for them. Not that it was a "good" experience just very different with far less long lasting effects on themselves.

LOL. Amen! Yes.

The LOL pertains mostly to these forums (occasionally)...or any of recent vintage be they FB, Twitter, chat rooms, comments left to online articles, ad nauseum.

All the things we might say, and often do, that we might never say "in person". When such distance is found convenient to these things, do we not also distance ourselves...from ourselves? In manifest lack of self knowledge/awareness? Maybe that's the convenience it well suits...to distance ourselves from the most troublesome person we know, our own selves.

matt79brown

Ambush80 offered an explanation for the technology advance based on Moore's Law. If it's right, it's bound to tank soon.

oldfella1962

Has the way human relations has evolved part of this same process? You know concerning civil rights, women's rights, welfare, not bombing civilians in war, doing away with imperialist advancements of other lands, accepting other religions, fare trade and the ethical treatment of laborers around the world, etc.

This exponential doubling in these matters as well? Maybe with advances in technology, we see a need or way in helping or overcoming. Education and indoctrination would play a part as well.

yeah that's the whole technological evolution zigging while human behavioral evolution is zagging. :( they aren't in synch & never will be. Human behavior evolved over millions of years (counting humanish but not quite human prototypes) so that's a lot of "hard-wiring" to reroute. We are the same we have ever been but our weapons & tools just got a lot more dangerous. We can educate and indoctrinate all we want but our evolution will always be bubbling just under the surface.

oldfella1962

I never heard of a wagon crash that killed 200 people at once. Maybe 'em bearded Amish fellers know something we don't. Then again technology was pretty nice when it came to my appendectomy.

Yeah an Amish surgeon might not have been a smart play. :(

matt79brown

If I want good apple butter I'll go to the Amish, If I want good corn whiskey I'll go to the Baptist, If it's surgery I'm after the Catholics have my vote. If I want a long boring answer that goes so far out in in left field that I forgot what the original question was, then I'll ask an Atheist.

660griz

Ambush80 offered an explanation for the technology advance based on Moore's Law. If it's right, it's bound to tank soon.

Why is it bound to tank soon? What is 'soon'?

660griz

I never heard of a wagon crash that killed 200 people at once. Maybe 'em bearded Amish fellers know something we don't.

They know to keep the wagon occupancy level below 200.

Israel

BANNED
If I want good apple butter I'll go to the Amish, If I want good corn whiskey I'll go to the Baptist, If it's surgery I'm after the Catholics have my vote. If I want a long boring answer that goes so far out in in left field that I forgot what the original question was, then I'll ask an Atheist.

Was that a shot over the bow? Am I being told to relinquish what has seemingly become my crown as Sententious Maximus? It fits oddly, but perfectly the man who thinks he knows so much.

It seems I can only keep it if identifying as an Atheist. Decisions, decisions.

gemcgrew

Was that a shot over the bow? Am I being told to relinquish what has seemingly become my crown as Sententious Maximus? It fits oddly, but perfectly the man who thinks he knows so much.

It seems I can only keep it if identifying as an Atheist. Decisions, decisions.

May I borrow it on occasion? :D

Israel

BANNED
May I borrow it on occasion? :D

No. There are few enough already whom I envy in their succinctness. I can't afford to lose anymore to explaining themselves (which the succinct already know is generally more harmful than beneficial).

I am lousy beer, lotsa head but little (or no) kick. I need you (and the other) moonshiners to teach me the art of distillery.

gemcgrew

No. There are few enough already whom I envy in their succinctness. I can't afford to lose anymore to explaining themselves (which the succinct already know is generally more harmful than beneficial).

I am lousy beer, lotsa head but little (or no) kick. I need you (and the other) moonshiners to teach me the art of distillery.
I can't. The Baptist Promissory Oath forbids it. :bounce: