Varmint rifle night site-what to use?

skinner

Can anyone tell me what is good night sight to use for yotes. Will a red dot type work? I really need to find something that isn't expensive. My shots are 100 yards max.

skinner

difference

does it make any difference when using a clear light compared to the red light? Is one any better than the other for yotes?

Ta-ton-ka chips

GONetwork Member
You will just need a good quality Riflescope. I prefer the ones with a 50 MM Lens (lets in more light). I like the "Max"
scope on the link below.

Here is a link to one of the best Red Light Spots that is on the market. We use them extensively on yotes and they even work well on Hogs. They are easy to use.
Hogguide

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?cmView=full&type=pod&id=0006362

Picked up one of those lights at Bass Pro - has a $10.00 rebate. Gonna try it out this weekend
If I had known they were endorsed by Hogguide, I'd have bought on sooner :cool:

Cowboy

I have one of the scopes it's the MAX Model
I have used in with a 7m08, yea I REALLY hate those critters!
it shines good up to approx 30 yds then its all about seeing the glow in the dark fro their eyes up to maybe 150 yds but you can'y see the animal.oooooh. their GREEN at those ranges it could be a calf or human even.
So it's tricky at pitch dark, did I say tricky I meant almost impossible..their quit.
I use the Max model on my 22 also great for possum hunting in yer back yard.

GAnaturalist

Bushnell makes a scope (Firefly model)with a green glowing reticle. You charge up the reticle by shinning a light in it. I have a 1.5X4.5 power. They are a little pricey, but they work. http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/t...parentType=index&indexId=cat601564&hasJS=true Good contrast against a RED light.

Do not use red dots, do not use a white light, night vision 2nd, or 3rd generation is the best, but way to expensive for me. 1st Generation does not work well.

Just go with a 50mm objective, and a thick black reticle(duplex). Target reticles do not work well at night.

Damon

Last edited:

Tim68

I use Optronics red light that clips on my Leupold VX-1 3-9x40.I use a Marlin 17HMR heavy barrel.I've been pleased with this set up.Optronics claim the light is good for 350 yards.Its bright,can flip up the red lense.I always stick with the red light,the white light will spook them.I don't think I would take a shot over 60 yards in the dark personally.