How to bait for deer?

hooksnhorns

Does the corn have to be in a covered feeder out of sight and 200 yds? If so, put up a pipe feeder with a lid on it tied to the backside of a tree close to cover, on a path, or where you see several old rubs,in a direction that will be on the predominately upwind side from your stand. Don't even think about going into that stand on a bad, or even questionable wind. Take a rake and clear out a small path of any debris for the last 100 or so yds on your route to your stand so you can enter it quietly. If done right, you can be successful at killing good deer if your letting everything else walk.
If someone tells you that a 4 yr or older buck won't eat corn during daylight, they're mistaken. But, you can NOT let them figure out you're hunting them til you put a bullet through his lungs. So I've heard...

Last edited:

KyDawg

Gone But Not Forgotten
I would not worry about placement of the bait. You can put some on the back of your pick-up and monster Bucks will chase you thru a field trying to get to it.

doenightmare

Gone But Not Forgotten
A lot of good tips in this one for Northern zone hunters. I have subscribed. BO$$ -can it be a sticky?

jaybirdius

I had some signs made that say" NO LAW ENFORCEMENT" and posted them around my property every 30'. Keeps them from being able to trespass without a warrant. They don't need to know what I'm doing and who has time to sit in the woods all day?

Gbr5pb

Used to use shop facto suck up 5 gallon buckets of white oak acorns and take to Taylor property that didn't have many! Worked better than food plot

meatseeker

I had some signs made that say" NO LAW ENFORCEMENT" and posted them around my property every 30'. Keeps them from being able to trespass without a warrant. They don't need to know what I'm doing and who has time to sit in the woods all day?

Do you really believe a game warden can't come on your land because of those signs. Wow

Throwback

Chief Big Taw

how much did those signs cost?

a dump truck of corn and a couple of 55 gallon drums full of peanut butter.

jaybirdius

I had the local drug store print and laminate for about $1.00 each. They used a special UV coating in the laminate and have been out for around 10 years. No signs of fading. And yes, I believe the game warden should ask permission or have a warrant, if I don't invite him onto my property. Kinda like how Vampires are supposed to do.

j_seph

Do you really believe a game warden can't come on your land because of those signs. Wow
Are you doubting your fellow hunter?

I have my order in for 500 of those signs, Thanks

Crakajak

Daily Driveler News Team

I showed this to my local game warden. He just smiled and walked away.

jaybirdius

I went to my local DNR this morning and asked if they could put a note on their map where my property is asking them to keep out and all he said was "Yes Sir".

jaybirdius

Show him the post once you've had a shower and he might agree. The warden called me and said they put a post-it note over my property saying "Don't go here".

boatbuilder

Since we in the Northern Zone aren't allowed to hunt over bait how can we? I mean how can we do it and not get caught? Having some bait out would be a good way to get those big boys to come out of those thickets. I mean there are trails going in and out of em but so hard to walk in there. Seems it is gonna take rut (have to wait longer) or some bait to get em to step out. What y'all got?

Plant a garden. Make sure you can see it from your kitchen window.

j_seph

Plant a garden. Make sure you can see it from your kitchen window.
they must not like maters, planted em at end of porch hoping to sit there and get em at night with a 2x4, now I am having to eat maters cause they haven't:banginghe:banginghe

Crakajak

Daily Driveler News Team
they must not like maters, planted em at end of porch hoping to sit there and get em at night with a 2x4, now I am having to eat maters cause they haven't:banginghe:banginghe
Okra will draw them in for a close shot.

vixzilla

I won't suggest trying anything illegal

Walk on the edge of illegal but don't cross the line. Get Creative. I suggest a product such as http://www.vappleproducts.com/

I like the apple scented additive you put in corn.....man it smells strong of apples and will scent the corn up. Put it in your corn pre season and remove it two weeks before season. Then, use the scent powder and spray scent mask in your stand during season that smells just like it when you hunt. It rings the dinner bell during season without putting out a plate. From what I can tell, the feeders where I use it get more deer than the ones that don't so the deer seem to follow the scent.:shoot: