Allatoona question

I've heard Allatoona wma is a good place to hunt. In doing pre-scout research found that only a limited number of permits are given out for the corps property... I can't find any maps that show those boundaries so I can stay off.
Second, I read somewhere about only being able to hunt dry lake bed and boats. Does this mean I can't just walk in and hunt from the shore?
Lastly, I hunted a wma recently with a friend, he said I couldn't bring my dog to retrieve because you couldn't hunt with dogs on that wma till after deer season. Does Allatoona have the same restriction?
Thanks

BaldofPate

Idk, if I couldn't find the info on gadnr site I would contact the local warden for that area and ask him. And get his name as well.

Here ya go

Go to the link below and do some more research. All the info is out there if you just look. No permit needed other than your regular licensing and stamps and what not. You're basically hunting the water of the lake which is more less just the lake and not WMA "boundary". Get a copy of the hunting regs book if you don't already have it and read through for regulations regarding waterfowl and Allatoona WMA. It's easier to understand it all with the hard copy and not the online regulations. Dry lake bed is where old water line used to be when lake is full. Yes walk ins are ok, just gotta read through rules and regulations to know which campgrounds and such you can access water by. As always though, if you really need to know an answer to a hunting/fishing regulation/rule in question, the local ranger/law enforcement office is the best source of information because they're the ones that will enforce the answer you get.

http://www.sam.usace.army.mil/Missions/Civil-Works/Recreation/Allatoona-Lake/Hunting/

little rascal

Allatoona WMA

[QUOTEI've heard Allatoona wma is a good place to hunt. In doing pre-scout research found that only a limited number of permits are given out for the corps property... I can't find any maps that show those boundaries so I can stay off.][/QUOTE]

1) I have to think you are trolling or stirring the pot.:stir:
2) Anybody that told you Toona was a good place to hunt was pulling you leg or a complete idiot.
3) The corps land in Cobb is Archery only for deer period, permits and rules apply. The rest of the corps land outside of cobb county is by permit and it does have maps.
4) If you want to duck hunt Allatoona, there is no walking in unless a campground states "legal for waterfowl season". You can hunt Allatoona lake by boat only.
5) Allatoona WMA and Allatoona Corps Land are two separate entities. Wma has maps and rules on Ga DNR site.
Corps land has maps if you got an invitation and went to the required meeting to get a permit.