Woman Hunter
Kacey Norris - N/C

Youth
Tray Slade - 117/0

Eagles
Garett Price - 153/2
Scott Stone II - 151/2

olinprice

Looks like we goin to have to work our butts off to beat that tyler weeks kid lol. Kelvin got things working too i see great course david thanks

Last edited:

Its Amazing

Thanks Olin for your support. Not sure we're seeing enough shooters to continue hosting tournaments.

KMckie786

Thanks Olin for your support. Not sure we're seeing enough shooters to continue hosting tournaments.

Ive been out of it for a what seems like an eternity now. I still look occasionally on here to see whats going on with everybody. I am surprised at how much attendance has dwindled in our area. Only a few of the regulars, that I remember, are still shooting regularly. Is everybody getting out, busy, or what? Could it be a lack of promotion?

I work a rotating shift now, which keeps me at work two weekends out of every month. My work schedule really knocked me out of the loop with everyone. I sold my tournament setup and said I was going to hit some locals with my hunting setup this season but have barely even shot my bow.

I miss shooting with you guys like crazy, but unless I change careers I dont forsee myself getting into tournaments like I use to be. If only archery could pay my bills......facepalm:

Even though I am not able to shoot like I use to, it still bothers me to see it dieing in our area.

olinprice

Thats the million dollar question whats has happened to shooters we have pondered that for 3 years now we have already lost High Lonesome in gibson great place to shoot may not have been mckenzie targets and 12 rings may not have been just right but none the less. Now on the verge fo losing Destint Farm another great place to shoot with mckenzie targets and 12 rings in the right place. Promotion i support these local shoots as much as i can via gon 3dshoots.com facebook word of mouth you name it i have advertised it there. These shoots offer great targets, Prizes food and drink, friendship dont what else can be offered. These guys arent trying to make tons of money doing this they just want to provide people a place to shoot, practice fellowship and return the money they spent on targets. I can promise that if there were more turnout there would be more return on the shooters money as in newer targets better prizes its hard work putting these shoots on if you have never set a shoot up i invite you to come to rocky comfort and help with the next shoot we have usually there are only 1 or 2 people doing it and its just not worth the effort when noone shows up to shoot.

jt12

I'd have to say it's the money. If you shoot in open classes you probably have over a 1000 invested in your setup. If you are a average hunter who has just the basic setup you're probably looking at 500 to 700 invested. You guys who shoot as much as I do know it's a very expensive hobby that doesn't pay back anything other than a great time and a little satisfaction if you place or win. As for supporting local shoots I always try but if it's on Saturday's you'll have to count me out. Between baseball and me working it's hard and I know a few more with the same problem

KMckie786

I dont really see competitive archery being all that expensive compared to most other hobbies. Look at bass fishing, hunting, golf, boating, car racing, etc... The list goes on.

I use to shoot competitively ALOT and the majority of my cost came from travel, most all was out of state travel expenses.

When we shot in or around the CSRA within a few hours we would carpool, sometimes with 10-15 people. We would meet up fill up the trucks and roll. That kept the cost of travel down because we would rotate vehicles or help with gas money.

Since I have gotten out of shooting competitively, I find my self bowfishing and bow hunting. I can tell you, after buying a boat and getting in to it, bowfishing is WAY more expensive than anything I ever spent shooting competition. Heck look at what people spend on deer hunting.

I dont think its a money thing at all, for some maybe, but dont see that being the major issue.

KMckie786

I think one thing that has definitely changed since the old days is the camaraderie. I remeber people hanging out after the shoot for the awards to be given out, it was a time of fellowship. Now people show up with their group, shoot with their group, and leave with their group, for the most part. By the time the winners are announced, most everyone is gone.

Indeed it is boring if you shoot early to sit and wait on others to finish. However, things like Destiny Farms does with the long distance shoot may help keep people hanging around. Give people a reason to hang out. Make it more than just show up, shoot and leave.

chill15

Banned
Destiny Farms is a great place to shoot and I truly hope it survives. The guys there do a great job. I know my work schedule has kept me away from some of the shoots but I try to catch the local shoots. I really don't know anyone that shoots to try and make money to pay for their equipment or make money period. I agree with Kenny that most people shoot for the fellowship. It was good to see Kenny and Stacey at Cabelas and hope to see them again at some of the shoots. Ken Graham.........

dgmeadows

I can't speak for others, but for me it is simply other demands on time. My kids have unfortunately taken interest in other sports. I was fortunate to have daughters be interested in archery for a little while, but now their choice is volleyball, and the travel season runs Jan - Apr. The ASA schedule has more shoots w/in reasonable driving range than ever, and I have not been to a single one. I have shot at Destiny Farms & the Fort a couple of times for practice, but have not had the time to get in a group and post a score. V Ball will be ending soon, so I'll be back, but then others will have their kids in baseball & softball. As a parent, unfortunately, it just keeps getting harder to give a full day to anything I want to do for myself anymore.

I see some of the N GA clubs are pulling in several dozen, even over 100 shooters. Is it just that they have more population within driving range ? When I did support work at the Cabela's opening , there were lots of parents looking at kid's bows because of the school archery programs. I told them about the area shoots and this forum. Perhaps the clubs wanting to cooperate on scheduling can also coordinate some advertising to reach outside our core group, 'cause our core group is apparently shrinking.

BowSlayer

whens the next one??

Its hard to say. We have a shoot scheduled for april, may, and so forth but at this point we are not sure if we are going to hold the shoots. For right now, the next shoot is July 26, which is the benefit shoot for the Augusta Warrior Project. It will be an all day shoot followed by a coon shoot that night.

Unless otherwise stated at a later date, that is our next shoot.

thompsonsz71

Well said Kenny! I'm just gettin back into it and miss all our old buddies gettin together and shootin em up! I wish it was back like it was then