Which engine?

Deerhead

I will be purchasing a new 2018 F150. I just can't decide on the 3.5 V6 twin turbo or 5.0 v8. Comparing the numbers they are real close mpg, HP and torque vary a little.

I would appreciate your recommendation if you own a 2017/2018 F150 with one of these engines.

I spend most of my time sitting in Atlanta traffic.

Thanks for your suggestions.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
my 13 is a little older than you asked about, but the 5.0 has been bullet proof for over 115k now, and the mileage difference is only 1mpg according to Ford.

The thing that swayed me was twin turbos. I have bought turbos before. They are 1k a pop or better, and then labor to install them. No thanks.

paulito

Yep. We just bought a 2017 here at work and went with the V8. The specs were close but to me why pay more for a V6 cuz thats how it was stacking up. Like above, turbos are nice til they break and you have to pay for one. Yikes.

95g atl

I spend most of my time sitting in Atlanta traffic.

I know you did not include the 2.7 ecoboost v6 turbo in your post..............however,

2.7 TT is said to get up to 26 mpg, a few better than either 3.5 or 5.0. If you are not towing anything or often, might be worth a look if the truck is merely a commuter.
:huh:

Robert28

If you can find a 5.0 in the truck you want, get that! My dealers around me love to stock ecoboost trucks and purposely make the 5.0 equipped trucks in colors I don’t want or slap it in work truck single cabs. I could have ordered one, I guess, but I’ve always somehow gotten a better deal buying off the lot rather than ordering.

I went to buy the 5.0 and ended up buying the 2.7 because it had all the options and was setup how I wanted.

jrickman

I saw them compared back in 2016. The V8 looked like an even match for the 3.5 Ecoboost on paper, but in the real world, it wasn't even close. The little turbo V6 stomped the V8 at everything. Speed, MPG city and hwy, towing a 6000lb trailer, you name it. That new 10 speed transmission might have evened things up between them, or it might have just made it even easier to keep them turbos spooled up and widened the gap even more. That's a hard choice to make, but if you don't tow a lot, I'd go drive them both and flip a coin.

C.Killmaster

Georgia Deer Biologist
There are some dealers around that offer lifetime powertrain warranties like Athens Ford. That might alleviate some concern over the turbos. We just recently bought my wife's Explorer certified used and it came with the lifetime.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
There are some dealers around that offer lifetime powertrain warranties like Athens Ford. That might alleviate some concern over the turbos. We just recently bought my wife's Explorer certified used and it came with the lifetime.

make sure you read all the fine print on those 'lifetime' warranties and stick to it like a beagle hot on the rabbits trail. Most have exclusions if the vehicle went over on oil changes, transmission flushes, rear end lube changes, and things like that. I mean 1 mile past your oil change can void the entire warranty... and it is up to you to document exactly where and when all the service work was done.

Snookpimpin

check out the torture test on the ecoboost on youtube it is very impressive. i have three buddies with them and they are sweet trucks. i find it very hard to believe that they get the same mpg as the 5.0. my buddies all get around or over 20, highly doubt you will get that with a v8

OmenHonkey

I Want Fancy Words TOO !
I have the 5.0. Basically because I still believe a "Truck" should have a V-8 Lol. But I have had lots of farmer friends that have destroyed the Eco Boost and went back to the V-8.

Buford_Dawg

2014 with the 5.0 here...

Love it, average around 17-19 MPG. Never had a issue, 68k miles and it runs strong.

GAbuckhunter88

I had a 2015 with the 5.0 and it was a good truck that pulled trailer with my tractor (around 6800lbs) fine. My mileage average around 17.5mpg and that was a mix of open interstate, good bit of interstate bumper to bumper traffic, and driving around town.

I now have a 2018 with the 3.5 and I am happy with it. It pulls the same tractor much better and I average around 19.8-20mpg. It is quicker and more responsive than the 5.0 was. Now the one thing I cant attest to is the longevity of the 3.5 and its turbos as I only have 15k on it so far.

C.Killmaster

Georgia Deer Biologist
make sure you read all the fine print on those 'lifetime' warranties and stick to it like a beagle hot on the rabbits trail. Most have exclusions if the vehicle went over on oil changes, transmission flushes, rear end lube changes, and things like that. I mean 1 mile past your oil change can void the entire warranty... and it is up to you to document exactly where and when all the service work was done.

I checked it over pretty good and you're correct that you have to keep up with routine maintenance. The nice thing is that there's no major scheduled maintenance other than consumables (oil/filter, air filter, brakes, spark plugs at 100k). Every other item is listed as inspect every 20k miles. Since the dealer is the closest and nearly the cheapest service to us, it won't be hard to keep it up.

boatbuilder

You also get a 9.75 inch axel with 3.5 the ecoboost.

I did not realize until after I bought my 5.0 that it comes with a new version of the 8.8 inch rear axel.

boatbuilder

You also get a 9.75 inch axel with 3.5 the ecoboost.

I did not realize until after I bought my 5.0 that it comes with a new version of the 8.8 inch rear axel.

Deerhead

This is great information I really appreciate everyone's help! I have been researching all the dealer inventories and my eye's are sore. All the trucks I am interested in have 3.31 axels. I am leaning towards the 5.0 mainly because of availability. Which there's lots of inventory and I have narrowed my search to what dealers I will be visiting. However I will go and test drive both the 3.5 and 5.0. Then I will decide. I have found about six trucks at those perspective dealers with the features I would like. That gives me flexibility... if I do not like to dealer or sales person I just walk away.

ribber

The Ecoboost owners that I know love them. My cousin just bought one a few months ago and he says its the strongest truck he's ever had. He was die hard Chevy his entire life but loves his Ford. The 3.5 is the fastest truck on the road.
My wife has a Fusion with 4 cyl Ecoboost and that thing will fly.