momma called

they caught a 50 lb King at Pensacola Pier yesterday, I saw it later on facebook. A beast and she could have eaten anything she wanted. I heard they caught it on a Spanish.

Might be a good year

s&r

Rabun

Thanks for the info. I'll be down next week but well east of pcola. Glad to hear things are heating up. That's a big king. Would like to see the landing video from that pier

wildlands

I hope the Navarre pier is better this year. I'll be down their late April then maybe again in May.

Dustin Pate

Administrator
Staff member
A beast! Saw they got the first cobia yesterday evening as well. May have been the same guy from a Facebook post I saw.

more mercury than a science project

"That size I'll bet it's got more mercury then a science project "

Mack salad or grilled with LOTS of peppers!

I still would have loved to catch it. I've only seen 2 kings that size caught in my lifetime.

s&r

95g atl

well heck!
That's a BIG FISH.
Thx for the pic.

the largest King

I ever saw showed up on the dock in Jacksonville Florida in an SKA tourney...

62 lbs

eyes big as a silver dollar

I asked the FWC how old that fish was and his exact quote was..

"ain't no tellin, but she could easy be well over 20 yrs old and maybe 30"

s&r

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Cobia are starting to show up too.

Last 2 yrs

what little Cobia run there was .....

was the last week in March. I have not seen a even pretty good cobia day in many years. But, I am a tourist so I cannot be the judge.

I remember a day in April few years back,(had to be Easter weekend) it was the spring after the gulf oil spill, I've never seen kings like that before or since then. In one day I must have seen 300 myself, maybe 150 caught that day.....every king caught was over 20 lbs and even I caught one. The tourist I am and all. Kings rolled in from the east on the sandbar by the schools great big studs. unreal

Saw Spanish macks one summer that lasted a week(week of memorial day) and the school was back as night, far as you could see coming from the east, around the pier and continued west. Never even heard of that before, much less seen it. Ain't never seen anything like that since either. I wish I could remember what year that was.

s&r

kingfish

If any of you guys or gals are tournament king fisherpersons, a slow trolled large spanish mackerel is a really good bait to include in your spread. You won't get nearly the strikes like ribbon fish or live bait, but the fish you catch will be good ones. I like the downrigger and the long center for positions.