hogs n food plots

reflexman

Snake Dodger
well after eleven years they showed up at my place I quit feeding corn n that helped .I know hogs will tear up food plots some times but their manly looking for grubs roots ect. radishes chickory turnips tubers I think are a bad choice has anybody had luck with plots that hogs didn't bother much n if so what did you plant. I am just trying to feed the deer without bringing in hogs I know that's easier said than done .

I had a chance to hunt over a pretty large food plot (100×100 yards) about 3 weeks ago and was kind of surprised at what I saw. Nothing showed until well after SS and the first guests were 4 does.

They moved on after a bit and as I sat in the full dark I heard a noise I figured to be a hog's cutters clacking as it ate. I had a NV device and sure enough a good sized boar was about 50-60 yards away grazing on the winter wheat.

Over the next hour+ two more boars showed and I also saw deer in the plot along with at least one of them. I killed the 3rd boar which was a brute and biggest of the three.

I was surprised, as I searched for blood in the darkness to see that the field had not been rooted up, but that the boars seemed content to graze on the winter wheat, just like the deer. I was surprised at that.

thumper523

Oats

Same here as 88, plant oats or wheat and they will graze instead of rooting. They will also just graze on clover, but I've seen them walk through it and go straight to the oats.
I just plant oats and clover.

reflexman

Snake Dodger
thanks for info I think its wise to stay away from anything with a large root . we did not hunt over corn but it did bring them in

NMH5050

I have had them root some plots and graze on others with the same seed mix. If there are grubs they will most likely root for them.

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
We had hogs on our farm raising them. We planted oat for the winter and grazes them on it. After it seeded we grazed them again .

j_seph

Hogs will graze and they will root, if what they wanna eat is below the surface they gonna root no matter what is planted. Wonder if there is a pesticide that will stop or get rid of the grubs they are after?

sghoghunter

I wonder if you spray a plot with insecticide before you plant and kill the grubs if that may help with rooting

NMH5050

if you only have around 10 or so and shoot a few of them they will typically move on for awhile. They will come back but just repeat.

Big7

The Oracle
Millet is good for deer.
So is "plain' ole' red" clover.
All that fancy clover is good, just about triple the money.
Not worth it IMO. (stay with red) But if you got it, plant it.

This is first hand experience where there were a bunch of hogs.

Hogs won't mess with it much unless there is nothing else.

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
Most of what I’ve planted around hogs done ok as long as they didn’t find it until it’s coming up , most of the damage they do to ours they are rooting for nut grass !

Crakajak

Daily Driveler News Team
Never had hogs root up any winter wheat /crimson clover plot that I have planted

00Beau

Tons of hogs at my place, only once rooted up a plot, Chufa, that is when I knew I had hogs. All other plots they just graze, they love it when the wheat and oats seed out.