2018 Injun Joe Memorial Fly Swap

Paymaster

Old Worn Out Mod
Staff member
Received sasmojoe's flies today. I will start a swap pic thread later and add pics as I get the flies.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I noticed most folks are tying itty bitty dandruff flake nymphs, so I decided to go the other direction and tie some meaty mini-girdle bugs.

They come with a disclaimer: Use of girdle bugs may cause you to hook into a large, angry brown trout that may do unpleasant things to your tippet, rod tip, and/or self-esteem. :D

Killer Kyle

I noticed most folks are tying itty bitty dandruff flake nymphs, so I decided to go the other direction and tie some meaty mini-girdle bugs.

They come with a disclaimer: Use of girdle bugs may cause you to hook into a large, angry brown trout that may do unpleasant things to your tippet, rod tip, and/or self-esteem. :D

If it's made from dandruff flakes....ain't it bait?! ::ke:

gobbleinwoods

Keeper of the Magic Word
TBB and others your flies look so good.

This is why this beginner did not enter although I watch this thread daily.

I might be good enough to enter next time.

my bead head pheasant tail is getting consistent and the hare's ear nymph is coming along

Killer Kyle

TBB and others your flies look so good.

This is why this beginner did not enter although I watch this thread daily.

I might be good enough to enter next time.

my bead head pheasant tail is getting consistent and the hare's ear nymph is coming along

gobbleinwoods, you better next go round! The thread swap is just for fun. We pass no judgement, and I pray no judgement is passed on mine. My flies look like something you picked off a MOS's covered rock. They aren't pretty. None of them are. All flies catch fish no matter what they look like. Even my poor attempts at tying will catch a fish now and again. The fly swaps are just for fun, to see what we can get on other's flies, and to most importantly practice our own tying by allowing us to tie in bulk. I sincerely hope you are entered in the next swap. It really is a lot of fun and a good opportunity for us to grow and learn!!

Paymaster

Old Worn Out Mod
Staff member
gobbleinwoods, you better next go round! The thread swap is just for fun. We pass no judgement, and I pray no judgement is passed on mine. My flies look like something you picked off a MOS's covered rock. They aren't pretty. None of them are. All flies catch fish no matter what they look like. Even my poor attempts at tying will catch a fish now and again. The fly swaps are just for fun, to see what we can get on other's flies, and to most importantly practice our own tying by allowing us to tie in bulk. I sincerely hope you are entered in the next swap. It really is a lot of fun and a good opportunity for us to grow and learn!!

Yes indeed! :cheers:

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member

What he said. As a matter of fact, I have found over the years that usually the messy-er and sloppy-er a fly looks, the more fish will hit it. I don't take too many pains tying for myself any more because of that very thing.

I got my batch of "trash flies" finished up this afternoon, I'll get them in the mail in the next few days.

northgeorgiasportsman

Staff member
Maybe the first lesson I learned when I started tying, was that ugly flies catch fish.

gobbleinwoods

Keeper of the Magic Word
Maybe the first lesson I learned when I started tying, was that ugly flies catch fish.

Headed to the streams next weekend to find out if this is true. (Unless miggy's clown map comes to pass)

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
After all the rain this weekend, you can pretty much fish anywhere at random here now.

Paymaster

Old Worn Out Mod
Staff member
Deadline is closing in. So, y'all get them bugs finished. :D

northgeorgiasportsman

Staff member
Mine are done and I tied you a few extra for your trouble, but I gotta get to the post office before it closes, which just doesn't happen on most days.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Mine are done and like Wes, waiting for a chance to get them to the PO.

Paymaster

Old Worn Out Mod
Staff member
4 days left. Do we need an extension?

Paymaster

Old Worn Out Mod
Staff member
Got one more set to receive, and that one is on the way to me. Then I will tie a set for the one withdrawal we had and then get them out to everyone. I will post a pic of Biggin13's fly this afternoon.:cool:

northgeorgiasportsman

Staff member
Got one more set to receive, and that one is on the way to me. Then I will tie a set for the one withdrawal we had and then get them out to everyone. I will post a pic of Biggin13's fly this afternoon.:cool:

You don't have to tie up a replacement. Why don't you just keep an extra of each pattern for your troubles? You need to be fishing, not tying!

Paymaster

Old Worn Out Mod
Staff member
You don't have to tie up a replacement. Why don't you just keep an extra of each pattern for your troubles? You need to be fishing, not tying!

I love tyin too! I don't mind. It is what I always do. I tied three sets besides my own a few years ago in a swap I hosted.

Paymaster

Old Worn Out Mod
Staff member
I received NCH's flies today. I will post a pic tomorrow. I hope to have the packages back in the mail later this week.

Killer Kyle

I love tyin too! I don't mind. It is what I always do. I tied three sets besides my own a few years ago in a swap I hosted.

Two or three years ago, I was absent minded and forgot about a swap that I had signed up for, and I withdrew. I'll bet you had to tie a replacement for me too. I didn't realize you did that until this go round! I tried to make good and redeem myself this time around. Sure hate that I haven't done these swaps in the past. It has been fun, and I have been really excited to catch some fish on other member's flies.
Like NGS said, my feelings wouldn't be hurt if you didn't have to tie another set. But if you just like tying, I would never turn down another fly. I appreciate you orchastrating all this and hosting the swap for us. Your efforts do not go unnoticed or unappreciated Paymaster!

Latest posts