Interesting read

treemanjohn

Banned
Bobcats won't fill the void...yotes hunt in packs and have the ability to take down a mature deer. Bobcats hunt singular and while they in the right scenario can take down a mature deer they have a built in mechanism to spend as less energy as possible to secure food, thus they primarily hunt smaller prey. Easier to defend a rabbit kill where they spend less energy vs trying to drag down a fawn and have no energy left to defend the kill from other predators.

You sure about that?

http://www.jacksonville.com/news/national/2017-02-21/bobcats-breeding-jekyll-island

red neck richie

True that.

This year I am going after the mountain yote. I hear they are 20 pounds heavier, are 70% smarter than a flat land yote and have a bite force equal to a crocodile. Not as populated as their lower altitude brethren but a true trophy.:rofl:

Good luck. Apparently they are the most prized yote on the planet. Way smarter than a normal flat land yote. I hear they travel with big foot.:rofl:

Swamprat

Swamprat
You sure about that?
QUOTE]

I said in the right scenario. 50 lb doe apparently bedded. 50 lb doe standing and aware I give the deer 99% survival rate. Against a pack of yotes if they are determined the deer has 10% chance of living.

Bobcats are in no way going to damage the deer population like yotes can.

red neck richie

You sure about that?
QUOTE]

I said in the right scenario. 50 lb doe apparently bedded. 50 lb doe standing and aware I give the deer 99% survival rate. Against a pack of yotes if they are determined the deer has 10% chance of living.

Bobcats are in no way going to damage the deer population like yotes can.

True that. Just by population numbers alone. Not to mention they hunt alone and have a far less success rate that a pack of coyote. Same odds as a lone coyote.

Silver Britches

Official Sports Forum Birthday Thread Starter
As bad a rap as coyotes get, and I certainly agree we desperately need to get them under control, they are interesting animals to me. I enjoy hearing them howling and carrying on at night. I couldn't even begin to tell you how many times I've heard a pack of them explode around my camp, or while walking in the woods before daylight on the way to a stand. A lot of times they will only be a short distance through the woods from me, but I never even knew they were there. One minute it's all quiet as I slowly make my way to my stand, the next the woods come alive with what sounds like 10 or more coyotes barking and howling up a storm. I will stop and stand there, taking it all in. In the dark. With no light on. And I won't lie, it's a little unnerving, but it's also one of the coolest outdoor experiences to me. I mean, I can't see them, nor do I know what they may be up to, but I do get a kick out of it. It will certainly make the hair stand up on the back of your neck.

I like animals, even the hated coyote, but yes, let's get them under control. I love deer meat a lot more than dog meat! :bounce:

livetohunt

Many of us, Marvin, suffer from the same problem.

We go all the way up there to hunt and we (at least I am speaking for myself) are not going to shoot a doe until we shoot a good buck.

Then comes the next problem.... if we get a buck, we are tagged out for antlered deer - are you really gonna sit in a tree and wait for a doe to come by?

Then comes the next problem... if you do go on “doe patrol” what do you do if a 200” comes by at 20 yards. We all KNOW what we should do but in all honesty, many would be sorely tempted.

Once I tag out, I am done.

Also, if you are sharing the property, it would be in poor taste (IMHO) to continue to pressure the farm while someone else was buck hunting.

All of this tends to lower the overall harvest plus they have food galore up there (yes, they do have coyotes nd bobcats) so the herd is pretty strong.

I know many are gonna scoff at some of my remarks and I understand it.

That is not to say, however, there is a deer behind every tree. Livetohunt (Dave) has excellent food plots and ALWAYS sees deer!

Come on October and November!

Jim sums it up very well. Most, including myself are guilty of not shooting does...Once a population gets too high, the next step lately seems to be EHD.