Your Child - Mission Trip

Swamprat

Swamprat
I am not talking about the 7-14 day trip but 9 months.
My youngest daughter who is fixing to graduate HS said she had a sign/calling to go on a mission before she entered college.

She will be going to the Cape Verde Islands for 9 months. While I have no problem with her walk with the Lord I have a issue of here being so far away for so long.

She is a petite girl...5' 1" and maybe 90 lbs. Her safety is my main concern.

Has anybody on here have a child or even yourself at the age of 18 do such a thing and what was the experience.

Her mind is made up but guess the dad in me is worried. Maybe for no reason but still worried. She will have her own apartment, etc. but still.

I joked with her that is where all the hurricanes start.

Dr. Strangelove

Make sure that the organization maintains contacts with the US Dept of State and constantly monitors the political situation in areas where they have assets.

Make sure that the organization has a emergency evacuation plan in place and that it is clearly communicated to assets in place. You as a family should have funds ready to evacuate your daughter without delay if needed. Have a plan to be able to pull your daughter out without the involvement of the organization if needed.

Find out what the expected communications intervals will be and how those communications will be made with the asset.

The US government actually does a very good job of protecting US citizens abroad, given that they do their part. One of the many things that US embassies are tasked with is protecting US citizens in their area of operations. Have your daughter contact the closest embassy to where she is stationed and establish a contact point.

Your daughter, or anyone traveling overseas, should make multiple photocopies of her passport and stash them in all luggage, other hidden places, and carry one on her person at all times.

Satellite phones are relatively cheap now and don't rely on local cell coverage, you just have to have a clear view to the sky (and satellite coverage), might be good peace of mind, just practice using it before the trip.

I'm sure she'll have a good experience and good on her for wanting to go out in the world and do this.

mark-7mag

Useless Billy Director of transpotation
Are there other Americans going or there already ?

gunnurse

Make sure that there are security measures in place by the sponsoring agency. When my kids and I were in Nicaragua, there were guards on the perimeter armed with shotguns.

Please note that I said my kids and “I.” My anxiety meter would be pegged, as I’m sure yours is if they had gone alone. But, for nine months, sheesh.

j_seph

What is the organizations name? We had a young man at our church went on a 12 month, 12 country mission trip. He grew amazingly in the Lord but he also had hard times while away. From missing home, to spiritual hard times, to physical discomfort. If the place is legit, this is where you have to put faith in God 1st, then trust in your daughter, pray about it, pray with her about it. Seek his guidance and follow him and all will be fine.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Make sure that there are security measures in place by the sponsoring agency. When my kids and I were in Nicaragua, there were guards on the perimeter armed with shotguns.

Please note that I said my kids and “I.” My anxiety meter would be pegged, as I’m sure yours is if they had gone alone. But, for nine months, sheesh.

My brother-in-law's sister got shot through the neck on a mission trip in Honduras. Somebody cut a tree down across the road, then opened fire on cars stopping to rob them.

Not a good idea, IMO. The Third World is a rough place.

dixiecutter

Eye Devour ReeB
I don't like the idea, and I figure my kids are gonna put me in the same position one day, as they're too young now. Us believers have been "commisioned" to go everywhere, and at all costs. Sounds like she has the heart of a true missionary. You and her will need to seek confirmation through prayer and counseling. We can't help you with that Swamprat. For some of these missions, the willingness to sacrifice must be total.

Swamprat

Swamprat
There will be other folks from around the states going so she will be with other folks.

Organization is reputable and recommended by the church.

Cape Verde Islands from what I gather is pretty tame and the second most educated just behind South Africa out of all the African nations.

Good idea about copies fro passports and state department.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
I haven't faced this exact situation, but I have had a bit of experience when it comes to raising children and releasing them into adulthood. I haven't been perfect. I probably made more mistakes than the general population, but I can tell you one thing that I learned thru personal battles.

Either you trust God, or you just say you trust God. You and your child are the only ones who can decide this. But, if you really trust that God has only the best for you and your child, and you trust Him, then what is the issue?

JackSprat

She's 18. If she joined the Army, in 6 months she could be doing a "mission tour" for 12 months in Iraq or Afghanistan.

You have to let her grow up some time.

Never been there, but know about them, and either of the above is a lot worse than the Cape Verde Islands.

Big7

The Oracle
NO WAY!

Just Sayin'.

Artfuldodger

I wish my daughter would a went there. Crime is worse here in Augusta. The biggest crime on Cape Verde is theft from tourists.

Even that's not so bad on some of the islands. It sure is a pretty place. Looks like the Caribbean. I'm sure once one leaves the resorts, the villages look like another world.

My two daughters are way older than yours. My wife and I worry about them all the time. Especially when they fly out of town.

I joined the Navy when I was 18 like my brother before me. I never even thought about what my Mom was thinking. Maybe being a boy, she didn't worry as much.
Probably seen more crime in the states than overseas.

I know of a missionary that went to Haiti and died in an earthquake. She was in this group.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...t-gengel-orphanage-haiti-earthquake/21389155/

Not trying to scare you but to show we really don't have much control over our destiny. I'll bet her parents were really worried with her going to Haiti. That place is full of crime. Earthquakes were probably far from their minds.

It's like worrying about alligators when camping in the swamp and overlooking the real dangers.

jiminbogart

TCU Go Frawgs !
I don't want my daughters going out of Oconee County. I would hate to think of them being in a 3rg world ****$$$$ without me being with them. That includes Mexico.

Don't get me wrong, I love Mexico. I just don't want my head detached from my body with a Farm Boss.

95g atl

scary as heck.
I'm glad I don't have a daughter. But I would NOT feel comfortable if my son was of age and was doing this.

Heck, I wouldn't feel comfortable with ME doing it, unless I was armed at all times.

Obviously I do not believe it is a wise idea, however, it is tough to tell your daughter "what to do" at that age.

I'd be very nervous........as you probably are beyond that.

Swamprat

Swamprat
Yeah nervous but we never know when our time on this earth is up.

Can't let fear keep you from achieving what God has planted in your heart. That is what I have told my daughter.

I am just thankful cause there is way worse places she could go, even here in the states.

Latest posts