Pontoon Prop Advice

campboy

I'm going to replace my aluminum prop with a stainless prop. Motor is 75 Mercury on an 18 foot pontoon. I'd like advice on brands and where to buy. Much appreciated!

Greene728

In my research from when I owned a couple of pontoons, Mitchell Marine and Mercury both advised going with a four blade prop rather than stainless. Until you get up in the higher HP/torque motors (150 and up), the performance benefit just isn't there for the cost. You can buy two great aluminum props for the cost of one decent stainless. Also, if you hit something with the stainless, you stand a much higher chance of damage to the foot/gears as the stainless wont give. With all that said, I had a four blade Mercury Spitfire on my last pontoon with a 75hp Mercury 4-stroke that was great! Excellent hole shot (for a pontoon) and would pull the tube and knee board with ease with 3-5 folks on board. 20ft boat would cruise about 22-24 mph. I think it was a 12p prop and bought on Amazon for like $150-160 shipped to the door. Hope this helps!

Bream Pole

I would go with the mercury 4 blade that is recommended for that motor myself.