Bbq...

Hello Friends,

I haven't done much with my website in a while so while Dad was recovering in Macon a few weeks ago, I sat on the side and fired upthe the laptop and put another page together...

There are tons of BBQ articles on the web... but what's wrong with one more...

Hotdogs are easier than BBQ... so I started there and will now work on my BBQ...

Without any photos of good BBQ joints as of this posting, I went ahead and printed my BBQ Basics... They are as follows...

...Finding good BBQ is a problem for me. The benchmark I use is Dad's BBQ and Mother's Brunswick Stew...

...My progressive BBQ Joint basics follow, and should be followed in order... The first 5 are mandatory and #6 is optional...

1. Upon arriving at a BBQ place, look for smoke... If no smoke is seen, roll down the window and smell for smoke... If no smoke is smelled, drive on... If you're are a guest and are not going to be driving the car, ask about this in advance... You might want to suggest a good pizza place if they puzzled about the smoke questions...

2. If you park, do so down wind and follow your nose to the front door... BBQ smoke is good for you and if you weren't hungry before you arrived, this should do the trick... A good BBQ joint has to cook meat almost continuously... If they don't do enough business to keep the pit hot, then this isn't the place you want to eat... If they don't use fire, don't use their parking lot...

3. Menus are required to see what kind of pie they have, not to order BBQ pork... plate or sandwich is the question... it depends on whether you want to use a fork or your hands... BBQ beef may be good... I don't know...

4. Sauces are as varied as opinions... everybody has one... so get the sauce on the side... A serving sauce doesn't make BBQ, it only compliments the slow cooked, smoked meat... and besides, you might like to try several different sauces during one meal... I like meat and may not use any serving sauce at all...

5. Before ordering any sides, catch a glimpse of the Brunswick Stew... If it looks like vegetable soup, do as I do and get the BBQ beans and a potato dish... baked, salad or fries, it doesn't matter... It's the BBQ you're there for... Use their BBQ sauce or mustard on the fries if that's what you get... By the way, Brunswick Stew is a meat stew and not soup...

6. Now for the pie... If there's room, get a slice of pecan... for some reason here, I can't get Mammy's Kitchen, south of Savannah off my mind... Back in '75 and '76 and when I had enough money, I'd get the pie...

Sorry for the long post, but Dad said to post it and I usually do as I'm told...

Thanks,

TurkeyProof

Brunswick Stew is a meat stew and not soup...

5. Before ordering any sides, catch a glimpse of the Brunswick Stew... If it looks like vegetable soup, do as I do and get the BBQ beans and a potato dish... baked, salad or fries, it doesn't matter... It's the BBQ you're there for... Use their BBQ sauce or mustard on the fries if that's what you get... By the way, Brunswick Stew is a meat stew and not soup...
Very very good advice :bounce:

L

Lucky Chandler

Absolutely right

You're absolutely right on target with the advice, especially about Brunswick stew ... if it has to be eaten with a spoon, it AIN'T Brunswick stew!