2018 Oglethorpe County Hunt Reports

jbird1

Haven't been able to step foot in the Turkey woods....it's nice to be able to come here and hear/see success stories from that neck of the woods....they're still birds in those woods!!

transfixer

Just found out landowners will be thinning/cutting our mature pines,, I'll probably have to go bring my camper home this weekend, sure hope they get finished before season starts.

Last edited:

transfixer

Update: Loggers are thinning pines that are approx. 25yrs old, some sections maybe couple years older, cutting every third row more or less? Doesn't make much sense, in the past they've always cut everything when it got to that age? They're actually damaging a lot of the remaining trees the way they're going about it , which I've always thought invited disease and or beetles ? we're going to have to wait until they're done before we can do any food plots or do anything with our stands.

They sure don't go about logging the way they used to ,,,, these agri-business management groups don't give you much notice when they do something like this either, we got the letter a couple days AFTER they had started cutting. So much for letting us get our stands out of the way,,,,,

Hey Fellas, ready to get this season started. Been bush hogging and putting cameras out on my land in south Oglethorpe. Turkey season was a bust down here this past season, hogs have been plentiful though..

Todd E

Good bbq pig. Always fun to get out and just hunt.

Attachments

• 36314762_1898939773471248_4912124564240072704_n.jpg
    36314762_1898939773471248_4912124564240072704_n.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 8
  • 36383553_1898939826804576_143319103002640384_n.jpg
    36383553_1898939826804576_143319103002640384_n.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 9

Buford_Dawg

Good bbq pig. Always fun to get out and just hunt.

WTG Todd, keep shooting them. They seem to be everyone in OC now. I have been out of country for a week but back home and still looking for a club or lease in OC. You guys keep me in mind if you hear of anything.

Todd E

You guys keep me in mind if you hear of anything.

There was one advertised on FB the other day. Like 600+ acre club near Lexington for $450 membership. It equated out to like one member per 30+ acres. "May need a couple of members"

WTG Todd, keep shooting them. They seem to be everyone in OC now. I have been out of country for a week but back home and still looking for a club or lease in OC. You guys keep me in mind if you hear of anything.
There was a club advertised on gon classifieds located in maxeys, I think it was 500 acres with 5-6 members.

Buford_Dawg

Thanks Deerhunter092, I must have missed it while away. I went back to the classifieds and searched but nothing. Must have filled it and removed the thread. Thanks for notifying me.

partner1

I am new to the Forum but have hunted in OC for the past 15 years. We just lost our club property and 4 of us are looking for land or a lease we can join. We need a cabin if possible. All of us are in our mid 60's and very dedicated to Quality Management practice. We don't mind the work needed to improve a property. Please let me know if anyone has a suggestion.

Thanks Deerhunter092, I must have missed it while away. I went back to the classifieds and searched but nothing. Must have filled it and removed the thread. Thanks for notifying me.
Dang.. looked like a solid club- I would have been all over it if I was looking for a new place. Hopefully you will find one soon. I live in Oglethorpe and will keep and eye out for you.

Buford_Dawg

Well, I joined a club this last weekend. Not exactly what I was looking for, but maybe it will work out. Several members of Woody's are in the club and they sound like a great group of guys to hunt with. Also, close to CCC, so I will run into him occassionally and share stories. Lots of hogs on the property it appears, so maybe some additional shooting opportunities at pigs. Look forward to continued information sharing with all you OC hunters. Lets keep this thread fresh.