Why do they try so hard?

j_seph

I read a post Spotlite made that got me to thinking. If one says he does not believe in God, the bible, Christianity then why not just say they do not believe? Why keep watching videos that discuss God does not exist, how the bible is not real? I mean I do not believe in the Loch Ness monster, bigfoot, or leprechauns. I sure do not spend my time seeking proof that they do not exist. I am comfortable and content to say they do not exist and therefore do not have to try and prove to myself or others that they do not exist. Seems it may bother some that God does exist and they need to keep building up their insecurities so that they can continue to say he doesn't.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
Because you are 'forcing' your religion on them, and they must fight for the 'truth' to be told to future generations. What right do you have to 'indoctrinate' the children with your lies?

It is a spiritual battle. They will never admit it, but it is their own personal war with God. Just as the serpent, they deny God's authority, and question His existence. They are not happy to just not believe on their own, but you must be convinced that God doesn't exist also. That way you have been set free.

Artfuldodger

Because you are 'forcing' your religion on them, and they must fight for the 'truth' to be told to future generations. What right do you have to 'indoctrinate' the children with your lies?

It is a spiritual battle. They will never admit it, but it is their own personal war with God. Just as the serpent, they deny God's authority, and question His existence. They are not happy to just not believe on their own, but you must be convinced that God doesn't exist also. That way you have been set free.

I can see that aspect of it. They believe they have discovered the truth and it has set them free. They want to share their good news as well as we do.
Just as we believe the world is a better place because of religion, they believe the world would be a better place without religion. If religion had never existed, then there would have been less imperialism and wars. One sect fighting the other, etc.

We recruit, they recruit, and the world religions recruits. Sometimes for faith and sometimes it's just political. I think maybe it's this political connection they hate and see as bad. A bad part of religion that out ways the good. They see Christianity as just another bad part of religion.

I think what the OP is asking though is why do they keep researching? Watching videos, debates with Christians, etc.?
Maybe it gives them ammunition. They live in a Christian world, mostly, and have to gain rebuttals to our rebuttals. Ammunition to convince the world to change.

j_seph

I think what the OP is asking though is why do they keep researching? Watching videos, debates with Christians, etc.?
Maybe it gives them ammunition. They live in a Christian world, mostly, and have to gain rebuttals to our rebuttals. Ammunition to convince the world to change.
On par, if you do not believe why keep seeking evidence to prove what you already believe. As a Christian I believe, I know what the Lord has done for me, my family and others alike. I do not go out seeking information to help me to believe, or information that will make me believe. I do read my bible everyday and pray. Not to keep me believing but to draw closer to him. I have been out of the will of God, I have placed a gap between he and I as well and know how my life went and how I felt. Only when I started drawing nigh to him did things improve. Even when the gap was there I still believed and did not have to seek to keep believing nor to convince myself that he is alive.

WaltL1

I read a post Spotlite made that got me to thinking. If one says he does not believe in God, the bible, Christianity then why not just say they do not believe? Why keep watching videos that discuss God does not exist, how the bible is not real? I mean I do not believe in the Loch Ness monster, bigfoot, or leprechauns. I sure do not spend my time seeking proof that they do not exist. I am comfortable and content to say they do not exist and therefore do not have to try and prove to myself or others that they do not exist. Seems it may bother some that God does exist and they need to keep building up their insecurities so that they can continue to say he doesn't.
If you are actually seeking answers to your questions, why don't you just ask the people you are talking about?

j_seph

If you are actually seeking answers to your questions, why don't you just ask the people you are talking about?
Out of respect sir, I was asking opinions in here. As not to impose in your room and ask y'all. Maybe I want to post in y'alls room later on to compare answers to help me better to understand seeing the answers/opinons on both sides of it.

WaltL1

Out of respect sir, I was asking opinions in here. As not to impose in your room and ask y'all. Maybe I want to post in y'alls room later on to compare answers to help me better to understand seeing the answers/opinons on both sides of it.
Fair enough.
As not to impose in your room and ask y'all.
You are formally invited to impose and ask any questions you want.

1gr8bldr

It's a discussion forum...... something they find interesting to talk about.

red neck richie

IMO it is because they can't rule out the possibility 100%. And they are searching for answers. They know their is healing and spirituality involved but when you point to examples they like to deflect and say what about other religions that claim the same? Or its a chemical reaction in the body that made it take place. I don't think it is insecurities as much as searching for answers. In which we all tend to do. IMHO My prayer is that they find what they are looking for.

Israel

BANNED
Every man occupies his assigned place. Some, in their great need of mercy are learning there's a benefit in being made able to see more...by showing more. These are the most selfish people you will ever find. They love the comfort that only mercy and grace provides. They are insatiable in hunger...for the One who shows mercy, and simply cannot be shamed by it.

And then there are others...who simply do not yet know...we are all the same. All, quite insatiable...to a One.

The one who has been made of Himself...bread. If one can find His end, one will find where hunger stops. Let's eat.

formula1

Daily Bible Verse Organizer
re:

Matthew 7:7
“Ask, and it will be given to you; seek, and you will find; knock, and it will be opened to you."

I am glad for these who constantly question for they are seeking something! That alone is enough to be hopeful that one day they just might get to the One they truly can find!

Isn't that potential end worthwhile to show all the grace and mercy of Christ?

Miguel Cervantes

Jedi Master
It's a discussion forum...... something they find interesting to talk about.

It seems more of an obsession than merely "something they find interesting." Especially for something they do not believe in, never have, never will. :huh:

Maybe if we had more Buddhist on board the landscape would look different over there. :huh:

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
IMO it is because they doubt themselves

gordon 2

If you rationally assess believers and Christians at their words and actions then something is not right in the state of Denmark. If you judge them by their fruits according to their values or the values they declare-- they (believers and Christians) fail miserably individually and as societies.

I personally understand that the non believers' and
the non Christians' ( atheists and agnostics) motivation is essentially a comment on the society we live in viewed from logical and smart minds--who find issues with today's traditional or status-quo mind sets.

A simpler mind might resume it this way: Does the fact that the so called Holy Spirit being active in people's lives lead them to sane and wholesome individual and social decisions which are immune of devastating consequences compared to the decisions of more secular peoples?

The whole notion of "why" people do what they do and say what they say, leads to interests in the bible believing culture of the Sunbelt for example-- and you don't have to be from the Sunbelt to be interested or a believer.

More simply for all the declarations on the love of God, a lot of God believers are fond of hatred and strife and to a non believer this must touch a nerve... and for some more than a passing interest.

Last edited:

j_seph

Is there not a difference in "God believers" and "God followers" even though as followers we fail many times? For one to say they believe in God to me just does not cut it to be proclaimed a Christian. If one truly believed in God there would also be a fear of God. That would be my take on that.

1gr8bldr

It seems more of an obsession than merely "something they find interesting." Especially for something they do not believe in, never have, never will. :huh:

Maybe if we had more Buddhist on board the landscape would look different over there. :huh:
My thoughts on that..... causing me to think even further on the matter is because most the participating Atheist here that I know of, are not life long Atheist. They were once Christian. There may be a few exceptions of which I would like to know, whom were not of the Christian upbringing. I expect that if they had of been raised Muslim then it might be different. Even though we air out our thoughts here online, I expect that they are not that vocal about being Atheist out in public. In other words, this being a discussion forum invites this type of conversation. And..... we should also look at it from both sides. Christians, by the book, are engaging nonbelievers which means we are equally confrontational. Random thoughts, thinking out loud.... And..... the things that believers state "as fact" disregarding that they should be hard to believe, has a way of causing debate

Artfuldodger

My thoughts on that..... causing me to think even further on the matter is because most the participating Atheist here that I know of, are not life long Atheist. They were once Christian. There may be a few exceptions of which I would like to know, whom were not of the Christian upbringing. I expect that if they had of been raised Muslim then it might be different. Even though we air out our thoughts here online, I expect that they are not that vocal about being Atheist out in public. In other words, this being a discussion forum invites this type of conversation. And..... we should also look at it from both sides. Christians, by the book, are engaging nonbelievers which means we are equally confrontational. Random thoughts, thinking out loud.... And..... the things that believers state "as fact" disregarding that they should be hard to believe, has a way of causing debate

You might have hit on something there. Like a reformed smoker.
That and this forum being an avenue closer to home than say a world atheist forum.

Argent11

When i was single over in Israel working i was never criticized or demeaned as a being Christian. I still have a lot of friends over there i talk to almost daily. Well, there was that one time with an Israeli girl that i liked a lot so i asked her out on a date, she said no lol. I got over it.

Oh well i got over it.

SemperFiDawg

Political Forum Arbiter of Truth (And Lies Too)
IMO it is because they doubt themselves

Bingo!, or very close. It’s because try as they might, they can’t elude God. Deny YES, elude NO, for they too are made in his very image. It’s takes a lot of energy to deny the obvious.