; jugs on clark hill - Georgia Outdoor News Forum

GON Magazine | GON Classifieds

Go Back   Georgia Outdoor News Forum > Fishing > Freshwater Fishing

Old 04-15-2018, 04:03 PM
Default jugs on clark hill

Going to clark hill tomorrow, and thought we may throw out a few jugs to get enough for a cookout. There are almost no regulations regarding jugs for Georgia, but SC has lots of restrictions, including having to have a special jug permit. Do we need to just stay on the Ga side to be sure not to run into problems?
Old 04-15-2018, 07:38 PM

Stay on the GA side
Old 04-15-2018, 07:51 PM

I always thought the state where you held your fishing license determine the law you fell under... ie... Georgia license, follow Ga law.
Old 04-15-2018, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NE GA Pappy View Post
I always thought the state where you held your fishing license determine the law you fell under... ie... Georgia license, follow Ga law.
Georgia waters, Georgia laws (with the exception of the reciprocal agreement on limits). Georgia fishing license reciprocates with South Carolina, but not all of our laws do, for example in Georgia there is not a limit on yellow perch, but in South Carolina it's 30, and they enforce it if you are caught on their side.
Old 04-15-2018, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NE GA Pappy View Post
No, if you are fishing on the SC side of the state line you fall under SC regulations. If you are on the Georgia side, you fall under Georgia regulations. As stated above, there are some agreements on waters that fall on state borders, that allow you to fish both sides to a certain point, but for example the crappie rules are different for GA and SC, so if you are fishing in Georgia you have no size limit, but in SC you do. It doesn't matter which state you have a license from.
Old 04-15-2018, 09:43 PM

Also chain pickerel limits are different between SC and GA
Old 04-15-2018, 09:54 PM

Big difference in the rules on hybrid/stripers, and having a gun in your boat.

Note you don't have to be fishing in the state. If you are fishing in GA, pull up to head to another spot in GA, but cut across the line,you are subject to SC rules while in SC.
Old 04-15-2018, 10:03 PM

Most states focus on game fish in reciprocal agreements and not non gamefish methods limits
Old 04-15-2018, 10:08 PM

sounds like a real mess to me. In Lake Hartwell the river meanders all over the place. Unless you had some real good GPS equipment, you couldn't be sure which state you would be fishing. Yeah, if you get back in the coves and stuff you would be able to know, but not out on the open water.

Seems like they could make it real simple to tie it to the fishing license and you fall under that states regulations. So simple a caveman can do it. Maybe that is the reason they don't.
Old 04-16-2018, 08:00 AM
Administrator

I would stay on the GA side for sure. I jug the SC side, and just some differences offhand: SC requires a jug permit, has a limit of 50 jugs per person, and will fry you for using live bait on a jug, limbline, or trotline. The jugs also have to be marked with your name and customer ID#. They also have to be picked up within an hour of official sunrise.
Old 04-16-2018, 08:44 AM

I have a place on the SC side of Russell. The agreement between Ga and SC, in the SC book reads "game fish methods" !!
Old 04-16-2018, 08:47 AM
Swamp Yankee

Well apparently it's legal here but you can't leave it alone,,,, has to be monitored, bummer,,,,
Old 04-16-2018, 10:06 AM

Also GA considers channel catfish as game fish where SC does not.

It seems legal methods of fishing are not covered by the reciprocal agreement
Old 04-16-2018, 12:10 PM

I thought that on the water all rules are reciprocal. Just depends on the state that the boat ramp that you use is in. Meaning that when you load the boat, you are subject to that states laws.
Old 04-16-2018, 12:14 PM
Swamp Yankee

No point in me trying it out here if you have to monitor it,,,, what's the point,,,, want to leave it overnight,,,,
Old 04-16-2018, 07:37 PM

It's the side you are checked on. In that state, follow their rules. The reciprocal agreement only means you're legally allowed to fish that side. You still have to abide by their law on limits and methods. Boating laws have a few differences too.
Old 04-16-2018, 07:48 PM

Except GA and SC agreed to the same limits on striped bass and black bass.

The limits on bass are the same between the states. As said other species of fish may not have the same limits but I'm guessing with all the tournaments , bass tourney fishermen probably wanted the same limits lake wide and lobbied and got them.

For years the GA side had/has a size limit on largemouth, SC never did until recently.
Old 04-16-2018, 07:48 PM

there has been a lot of opinion posted here but no links to facts.

I am gonna have to research this.
Old 04-16-2018, 07:55 PM

Quote:
South Carolina

Waters Covered
On the banks and in the waters of all channels of the Savannah River from its mouth to the junction of the Tugaloo (Toogaloo) and Seneca Rivers; the Tugaloo River from its mouth to the junction of the Tugaloo and Chattooga Rivers; and the Chattooga River to the North Carolina state line (35th parallel of North latitude at Ellicott’s Rock). This agreement also applies to all the waters and banks of Clarks Hill Reservoir (Strom Thurmond), Richard B. Russell Reservoir, Hartwell Reservoir, Yonah Lake, Tugaloo (Toogaloo) Lake, the New Savannah Bluff Lock and Dam, and Stevens Creek Lake (except that portion on the Stevens Creek arm upstream of South Carolina Hwy 53). The agreement does not apply to any flowing portions of tributary streams to these impoundments nor to tributary streams of the Savannah, Tugaloo and Chattooga Rivers.

Licenses
All persons meeting the freshwater license requirements of Georgia or South Carolina may fish from the banks and in the waters covered without having to obtain any other license.
This agreement does not apply to commercial fishing or saltwater sport fishing.
A South Carolina saltwater fishing license is required when fishing from a boat on the SC side of the Savannah River downstream of where the CSX Railroad trestle crosses the Back River.

Length, Creel and Possession Limits

See GA-SC chart above for the length, creel and possession limits for the border waters covered by this agreement.

General Notes

Any person using baskets, jugs, minnow seines, or trot lines in the waters covered must comply with the laws, rules and regulations of the state in which the baskets, jugs, minnow seines, or trot lines are fished, regardless of their residence.

No person may carry to either state or possess in such state more fish than the laws of that state or those of this agreement permit, even though the fish were caught in the waters of the other state.

Old 04-16-2018, 07:56 PM

Quote:
aggregate of all game fish (does not include catfish): All border waters covered : 40 (total)
Quote:
All other laws and regulations of Georgia apply in the Georgia portion of waters covered by this agreement.
Note: South Carolina regulations differ for crappie and bream (and chain pickerel and yellow perch)
Also what constitutes a game fish differs between SC and GA.
Old 04-16-2018, 08:00 PM

I looked in the NC regulations (for Lake Chatuge) and NC has the same limits on bass, catfish, walleye and crappie as GA does on Lake Chatuge but NC doesn't consider catfish game fish so you can bow fish them on the NC portion of Chatuge unlike the GA portion.

However GA has a limit on bream (50 fish) where NC has none.

No idea if chain pickerel or musky are in Chatuge.
Old 04-16-2018, 08:04 PM
Swamp Yankee

Not to go off topic, but can you leave a trot line unattended around your parts?
Old 04-16-2018, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lampern View Post
Except GA and SC agreed to the same limits on striped bass and black bass.

The limits on bass are the same between the states. As said other species of fish may not have the same limits but I'm guessing with all the tournaments , bass tourney fishermen probably wanted the same limits lake wide and lobbied and got them.

For years the GA side had/has a size limit on largemouth, SC never did until recently.
Not so lampy. The Georgia Law for striped bass, Hybrid bass and white bass is 15 per day with only 2 being over 22 inches. The Georgia, South Carolina agreement is 10 fish per day with only 3 being over 26 inches. Convoluted government at its best. It depends on which lake your at. Very hard to keep up with. They are just fund raising if you ask me. Lake Russell and further down the Savannah river have a 2 fish limit. Who can keep up with all these regulations? Goobermint at its best.
Old 04-16-2018, 08:16 PM

Actually GA and SC have reciprocal agreements for striped bass, white bass and hybrids on the Savannah River.

Quote:
Striped bass or hybrid bass or combination
Lakes Hartwell and Clarks Hill 10 fish only 3 may be over 26 inches- lake wide
Quote:
Striped bass or hybrid bass or combination
Lake Russell 2 only 1 may be over 34 inches lake wide
Quote:
Striped bass, hybrid bass, white bass or combination Savannah River downstream of Clarks Hill dam 2 (fish) 27-inch minimum length limit

Quote:
White bass
All border waters covered except for Savannah River downstream of Clarks Hill dam (see above for size limit) 10 (fish) no size limit
The striper, hybrid striper and white bass limits above apply to both the GA and SC portions of the water bodies mentioned.

What folks are confused about are fish species and fishing methods that vary between the states (like jug fishing for channel catfish)

Last edited by lampern; 04-16-2018 at 08:27 PM.
Old 04-16-2018, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lampern View Post
Actually GA and SC have reciprocal agreements for striped bass, white bass and hybrids on the Savannah River.

Correct but every where else in Georgia it is a 15 fish limit with only 2 over 22 inches. Its not the same statewide.

The striper, hybrid striper and white bass limits above apply to both the GA and SC portions of the water bodies mentioned.

What folks are confused about are fish species and fishing methods that vary between the states (like jug fishing for channel catfish)
Correct but there is a 15 fish limit with only 2 being over 22 inches in the rest of the state. Which can make for confusion.