Bear protection

My comments were made specifically reference a black bear attack, which have proven over the years to continue until either it or its prey is killed. That said as I'm being "chewed", I'd hope my handgun is reachable and my shots would be as the handgun was being pressed against attacker, bear or whatever. YMMV

Killer Kyle

Back in the summer, Buckman was telling me he had really gotten into carrying this while in the woods this year. He said it doesn't harm the bear or scare it away. It just calms and soothes the bear. Pretty interesting tactic. He said you can also apply it to the bottoms of your feet after a stressful day, and it will help you sleep at night. Anyone else ever used this?

xp232e.png

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Back in the summer, Buckman was telling me he had really gotten into carrying this while in the woods this year. He said it doesn't harm the bear or scare it away. It just calms and soothes the bear. Pretty interesting tactic. He said you can also apply it to the bottoms of your feet after a stressful day, and it will help you sleep at night. Anyone else ever used this?

xp232e.png

Not that there's anything wrong with that...........::ke: :bounce:

ByrdDog76

Every black bear I've seen while hunting in north ga runs the opposite direction when they know you're there.

This.^^^^^^

Opening day of duck season my son and I were in the swamp about 20 yards apart (facing different directions) waiting on daylight . I heard some sloshing around from his direction and figured he was adjusting some decoys. All of the sudden in a low voice he said “Dad, Bear”. I turned around and a big 300# Black bear had walked within 15 yards of him. All I had to do was say get out of here in a stern voice and it took off as fast as any deer I’ve ever seen.

northgeorgiasportsman

Staff member
This.^^^^^^

Opening day of duck season my son and I were in the swamp about 20 yards apart (facing different directions) waiting on daylight . I heard some sloshing around from his direction and figured he was adjusting some decoys. All of the sudden in a low voice he said “Dad, Bear”. I turned around and a big 300# Black bear had walked within 15 yards of him. All I had to do was say get out of here in a stern voice and it took off as fast as any deer I’ve ever seen.

I bet that got everyone's heart racing!:hair:

Buckman18

If Buckman says it werks, then it werks. I'd bet my paycheck on it!

It definitely works! Last year, when I was speck fishing in Stephens County, I had a big bruin jump me in the creek and try to take my fish creel. I admit, it hurt, but I wasn't gonna give it up without a fight. So... I put my thumb in his eye, which bought me a couple of seconds, and sprayed the Aroma. In the same instant, he went from snarling to purrin' and wanted me to scratch him behind the ears...

I'm still making this potion if you're interested in buying it? I'll cut you a good deal! I've got it stored in the basement next to my helicopter bass lures, Sham-wow's, and flex seal containers.

northgeorgiasportsman

Staff member
I'm still making this potion if you're interested in buying it? I'll cut you a good deal! I've got it stored in the basement next to my helicopter bass lures, Sham-wow's, and flex seal containers.

How much you want for them Sham-wows?

Killer Kyle

It definitely works! Last year, when I was speck fishing in Stephens County, I had a big bruin jump me in the creek and try to take my fish creel. I admit, it hurt, but I wasn't gonna give it up without a fight. So... I put my thumb in his eye, which bought me a couple of seconds, and sprayed the Aroma. In the same instant, he went from snarling to purrin' and wanted me to scratch him behind the ears...

I must publicly admit....I bought the helicopter lures. And the banjo minners too. I was a younger lad then.

I'm ready to get after those middle fork specks again when the weather warms up, buckman. Miss those pretty gems. They might well be the southernmost native brook trout on the continent. Sure are special in my book.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member

I think my wife already has some of it. She rubs it on her toes before she goes to bed or some such. :D

whitetailfreak

xp232e.png

They help my time, I've seen it all :bounce:
I'd be afraid my ancestors would come up out of the grave and get me for using that ::ke:

Killer Kyle

They help my time, I've seen it all :bounce:
I'd be afraid my ancestors would come up out of the grave and get me for using that ::ke:

Leave it to Buckman to start carrying essential oils in the woods.
I still ain't sure what essential oils are because I made it this far without them, so I know they ain't essential!!

Buckman18

I think my wife already has some of it. She rubs it on her toes before she goes to bed or some such. :D

I hear ya! I rubbed some on my toes and I still got smacked! facepalm:

matt79brown

I fought a guy that was twisted up on meth. He didn't have any teeth but had somehow chewed his toenails off. I'll take the bear any day!

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
:bounce:

bowbuck

I fought a guy that was twisted up on meth. He didn't have any teeth but had somehow chewed his toenails off. I'll take the bear any day!

I do that for a living but not nearly as exciting as a sow bear in White County that didn't like the way I had talked to her cub. I tote a weapon with me whenever in the mountains cause it can happen and I plan to at least put some rounds down range before the hateful wretch bites me through the back of the neck and kills me.

For fun I have spent more days than most among Alaska bears and a North Georgia Sow is the by far the closest I have come to buying the farm.

Killer Kyle

I do that for a living but not nearly as exciting as a sow bear in White County that didn't like the way I had talked to her cub. I tote a weapon with me whenever in the mountains cause it can happen and I plan to at least put some rounds down range before the hateful wretch bites me through the back of the neck and kills me.

For fun I have spent more days than most among Alaska bears and a North Georgia Sow is the by far the closest I have come to buying the farm.

I thought I was about to have to do some wrastlin' tonight on Chattahoochee WMA. I met JBoggs up there this evening at the bridge at Martin Branch. We caught up a while, then he went off to look for porkers. I went off my way to hike up the road to look around. There appeared to be a man camping at the bridge, but no vehicle was there. When I got back, he and all of his stuff was still there. He came up to me and asked for a ride to Helen, and I apologized and politely declined. He began begging me for a ride, and trying to argue with me. I again politely said no and apologized. I told him it was only a thirty minute walk to Helen, and he had two and a half hours to get there before sunset. He then got an attitude and used some very, very unfriendly explatives, so I decided it was time for me to go. Got in the car and backed out, and he was screaming at me at the top of his lungs. He screamed at me until I drove far enough away that I could no longer hear him.

This is yet another very valid reason to carry a side arm.

I got down the road and started fishing, and twenty five minutes later, here he comes down the road. As he passed by me again, he decided to use some more "friendly adjectives", and I just replied "fair enough", and kept on fishing. Not often do I feel the need to carry my .40 while fishing, but today was one of those days. I'm glad I did.

If you know much about Martin Branch and pay attention, you'll start learning some things about the people that hang at the bridge. You'll find condoms, beer cans, liquor bottles, zig zag wrappers, and last year my dad found a meth/crack pipe in a pill bottle stuffed into a stump right there at the bridge. Today an old white Nissan truck passed me just after I left the bridge, and it wreaked of weed smoke. Sometimes it is wise to carry a side arm for the two legged critters too.

Buckman18

I thought I was about to have to do some wrastlin' tonight on Chattahoochee WMA. I met JBoggs up there this evening at the bridge at Martin Branch. We caught up a while, then he went off to look for porkers. I went off my way to hike up the road to look around. There appeared to be a man camping at the bridge, but no vehicle was there. When I got back, he and all of his stuff was still there. He came up to me and asked for a ride to Helen, and I apologized and politely declined. He began begging me for a ride, and trying to argue with me. I again politely said no and apologized. I told him it was only a thirty minute walk to Helen, and he had two and a half hours to get there before sunset. He then got an attitude and used some very, very unfriendly explatives, so I decided it was time for me to go. Got in the car and backed out, and he was screaming at me at the top of his lungs. He screamed at me until I drove far enough away that I could no longer hear him.

This is yet another very valid reason to carry a side arm.

I got down the road and started fishing, and twenty five minutes later, here he comes down the road. As he passed by me again, he decided to use some more "friendly adjectives", and I just replied "fair enough", and kept on fishing. Not often do I feel the need to carry my .40 while fishing, but today was one of those days. I'm glad I did.

If you know much about Martin Branch and pay attention, you'll start learning some things about the people that hang at the bridge. You'll find condoms, beer cans, liquor bottles, zig zag wrappers, and last year my dad found a meth/crack pipe in a pill bottle stuffed into a stump right there at the bridge. Today an old white Nissan truck passed me just after I left the bridge, and it wreaked of weed smoke. Sometimes it is wise to carry a side arm for the two legged critters too.

That fella needed some of that Aroma? And a boot to his head...