T/C Hawken

Lorren68

I finally managed to figure out a load combo that works well. 75 grains of FFFg Goex, .020 ticking from wal mart lubed with ballistol/water mix and air dried, .490 round ball. This is a 4 shot group at 50 yards using an improvised rest.

hawkenshot.jpg

jkoch

Gone But Not Forgotten
Great group.

fishfryer

frying fish driveler
I finally managed to figure out a load combo that works well. 75 grains of FFFg Goex, .020 ticking from wal mart lubed with ballistol/water mix and air dried, .490 round ball. This is a 4 shot group at 50 yards using an improvised rest.

hawkenshot.jpg

You're coming along fine! You've got blackpowder fever to the epidemic stage. That's a fine group,keep it up.

Lorren68

You're coming along fine! You've got blackpowder fever to the epidemic stage. That's a fine group,keep it up.

Aint it the truth, I cant go a month without a range session. I need to get back up to Guns Of Yesteryear and pick up some more caps and balls before my next session.

Ga Waters

Very nice group! Got to love that T/C Hawken. I shoot a similar setup in mine. I'm also getting good results with 55 gr of ff at 25-50yds.

Lorren68

Is your T/C an old 1 in 60" twist or the new 1 in 48"?

Mine is a 1 in 48 twist. I tried numerous patch/ball/lube combos util I found this one. I also discovered that my barrel wedge was not tight, and was allowing the barrel to shift. I will be trying for an easier loading combo on my next range session now that I have fixed the barrel shift problem.

Thanks to everyone for the kudos on my group! :yeah:

7Mag Hunter

Mine is a 1 in 48 twist. I tried numerous patch/ball/lube combos util I found this one. I also discovered that my barrel wedge was not tight, and was allowing the barrel to shift. I will be trying for an easier loading combo on my next range session now that I have fixed the barrel shift problem.

Thanks to everyone for the kudos on my group! :yeah:

Be careful with "easier loading combo".....Loose ball/patch combos can allow blow by and decrease accuracy.....
Looks like you found a great combination and I would
stick with it.....:banana:

tv_racin_fan

Don't want to make loading so easy it hurts accuracy BUT you can solve a blowby issue with an over powder card/wad.

Lorren68

I know about blow by, I always recover and read my patches on a new load. The load I shot the group with "aint going nowhere". I have all the data written down. Now that I discovered the barrel wedge issue(I discovered it before I shot this group) I can return to testing(as soon as I pick up more caps and balls) I will record all data from my test sessions to save for refrence. Thanks TV Racin Fan, and 7Mag hunter that is some good advice.

R1150R

How do you tell which twist you have?
I bought my T/C Hawken (.54 cal.) in the late 80's and always assumed it was 1 in 48".
I later bought their "Round Ball Bbl." which is 1 in 66", I think, but don't use it due to its weight.
Is your T/C an old 1 in 60" twist or the new 1 in 48"?

Lorren68

How do you tell which twist you have?I bought my T/C Hawken (.54 cal.) in the late 80's and always assumed it was 1 in 48".
I later bought their "Round Ball Bbl." which is 1 in 66", I think, but don't use it due to its weight.

Place a tight fitting jag/patch combo on your rod and push it down the barrel until it rests on the breech face, mark the rod where it is even with the barrel, now pull the rod up until it rotates 1/4 turn, measure the distance from the mark you made when the rod was seated on the breach to the barrel, multiply by 4. This will equal how many inches it would have to travel to make a complete revolution.

tv_racin_fan

I think many people make to much out of twist rate on a black powder firearm. I have a pistol I am converting to flintlock. I have a spare 1-48 twisted rifle barrel I intend to cut down to like 16 inches or so to make a sort of Contenderish thing. Several people told me that a 1-48 twist would be far to slow for a handgun. However a very well respected custom black powder firearm builder tells me that I am should go for it. He uses 1-48 twisted barrels for his handguns. In fact he claims that the original Hawkens were 1-48 twisted. And they were well know for their accuracy both with round ball and conicals.

IF the load is correct your 1-48 rifle will be as accurate as anything according to those who know far more than I do.

Even tho a 1-60 or so barrel isn't supposed to be accurate with a conial type projectile you never know how your rifle will shoot unless you try.