Bulloch County 11 pt. Buck

My son harvested this deer with a crossbow on Thursday evening (09-25-14) in Bulloch County. We watched him all of last year and figured he was 3 1/2 then and this year we think he was 4 1/2. We had him on trail camera all summer until he dissapeared mid August and we figured (hoped) he was at a nearby farm on peanuts. He started showing back up at our place mid September on our Moultrie trail cam. We kept the camera set up on the food source everyday and he was on camera most days at different times. On Thursday morning (09-25-14) I checked the camera on my lunch break and saw that he was there at 6:15 AM. After seeing that, I told my son he probably bedded close by and there was a real good chance he would come back to the foodplot first thing when he got up. The wind was marginal, but we had to take a chance with him bedding close by that morning. We both sprayed down with scent elimination (almost used half the bottle) and had 2 fresh earth scent wafers placed on each side of the stand and one above us to help mask our scent. 2 smaller bucks appeared first and then the 11 pt. stepped out of the woodline between them. After hitting a licking branch on the edge of the foodplot, all three walked to the top of the foodplot together and he was in the middle. Once he was in range, my son had to wait about 20 seconds for him to turn broadside (very anxious moments)! Once he turned, he let the arrow go and it found its mark. We listened for the buck to crash but didn't hear it. We gave him about 10 minutes, climbed down from the two-man stand, and then found the arrow. There was little sign on the arrow and only a few drops of blood in the foodplot. We traced the faint bloodtrail to the edge of the food plot but I decided to back out and come back in the morning. At this point I was questioning myself as to where I saw the arrow enter in at. After two hours at home (my son trying to do his homework but not being able to concentrate on school because of the situation) we decided to go back and just step into the woodline to see if we saw him with our flashlight. I called my brother-in-law and he accompanied us to the foodplot about 9:45 PM. We had marked the spots of blood with various items when we left. Once we got to the edge of the woods, we stepped into the pines and shinned the flashlights and saw green eyes about 40 yards in. He weighed 202 on the scales. We were all very excited and to answer your question, no the homework did not get finished that night!

Attachments

• Will's deer another side shot- smaller pic.jpeg
    Will's deer another side shot- smaller pic.jpeg
    165.6 KB · Views: 1,747

adam27

Very nice buck, congrats to your son. You need to review the entry for this deer on the truck and buck. GON is asking under the entry for you to resubmit the info as the original entry timed out and came through I completed. I would hate for this. Ice deer to miss a weekly opportunity for the entry not going all the way through. Nice deer and good luck.

EAGLE EYE 444

King Casanova
buckmaster,

I was in Statesboro on the evening of your 9/25/2014 hunt but I was at the GSU vs APP State football game watching it that night. The weather starting changing a lot late in the evening and it got a lot worse before I finally arrived home at about 2 AM here back in Augusta.

That is a really fine deer for your Son. I bet he probably won't be sleeping very much for a couple of weeks now either. That is indeed a trophy and I am really glad that you went back that same night and had a successful recovery because I am surprised that the coyotes didn't get to him first.

Congrats to you for getting your Son involved in hunting and especially with a cross-bow too. Congrats to your Son for being able to hold that point of aim and make this one in a lifetime shot. You both did GOOD.

seeker

Wonderful buck. He's got bragging rights the rest of the year.

GTHunter007

Very well done!! Congrats!

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
Congrats to all.......... how old is your son ?

BornToHuntAndFish

Congrats to your son on his fine mature whitetail xbow success.

shakey gizzard

My son harvested this deer with a crossbow on Thursday evening (09-25-14) in Bulloch County. We watched him all of last year and figured he was 3 1/2 then and this year we think he was 4 1/2. We had him on trail camera all summer until he dissapeared mid August and we figured (hoped) he was at a nearby farm on peanuts. He started showing back up at our place mid September on our Moultrie trail cam. We kept the camera set up on the food source everyday and he was on camera most days at different times. On Thursday morning (09-25-14) I checked the camera on my lunch break and saw that he was there at 6:15 AM. After seeing that, I told my son he probably bedded close by and there was a real good chance he would come back to the foodplot first thing when he got up. The wind was marginal, but we had to take a chance with him bedding close by that morning. We both sprayed down with scent elimination (almost used half the bottle) and had 2 fresh earth scent wafers placed on each side of the stand and one above us to help mask our scent. 2 smaller bucks appeared first and then the 11 pt. stepped out of the woodline between them. After hitting a licking branch on the edge of the foodplot, all three walked to the top of the foodplot together and he was in the middle. Once he was in range, my son had to wait about 20 seconds for him to turn broadside (very anxious moments)! Once he turned, he let the arrow go and it found its mark. We listened for the buck to crash but didn't hear it. We gave him about 10 minutes, climbed down from the two-man stand, and then found the arrow. There was little sign on the arrow and only a few drops of blood in the foodplot. We traced the faint bloodtrail to the edge of the food plot but I decided to back out and come back in the morning. At this point I was questioning myself as to where I saw the arrow enter in at. After two hours at home (my son trying to do his homework but not being able to concentrate on school because of the situation) we decided to go back and just step into the woodline to see if we saw him with our flashlight. I called my brother-in-law and he accompanied us to the foodplot about 9:45 PM. We had marked the spots of blood with various items when we left. Once we got to the edge of the woods, we stepped into the pines and shinned the flashlights and saw green eyes about 40 yards in. He weighed 202 on the scales. We were all very excited and to answer your question, no the homework did not get finished that night!
Well done little man!:cool:
Where did he hit it ?
Gj young man

In da woods!;)

sman

Please adopt me! I'm 38. Have a good paying job. I'm tidy. I can cook.

Seriously, congrats to you and your son! Buck of a lifetime!

Redman54

That is a fine deer, congrats!