How many clubs are harvesting more than 10 deer per 600 acres?

mtr3333

Banned
Actually, like any other science, it is based on the scientific method, which is based on hypothesis and experimentation.

Data and methodology are the route to conclusion. There is no standard which will apply to every acre of the State. There is too much variation. There are acres of land that can support zero deer. And, there are zero acres which will support unlimited deer.

mattb78

It is a general rule folks. If you are taking a few more deer than 10/600 acres you aren't doing too much damage. It may not be enough in some parts of the state that can sustain a higher harvest because they have more deer.

The point of the post was really the 1000 acre clubs that kills 30 deer.. or the 300 acre club taking 15 deer. Its the clubs who aren't trying to manage their harvest related the deer density.

The clubs that are killing way more than their density allowed, these are the ones that are really causing the decline.

mattb78

IMO the 30% harvest goal has to be calculated based on the entire range of the herd and not just your club property...impossible in most cases.

I was talking about the cumulative effect on the statewide deer population, not just one individual club. Yes, its difficult to shoot up a small club because deer will fill in from other areas, but all of this does take a toll on the herd.

My point was that all clubs need to keep deer density in mind regarding their harvest goals. I don't think alot of clubs realize exactly how many deer they have and how many they can actually harvest to keep a level population.

Jeff Phillips

Obviously, the 30% rule is not and will not be popular. But it is the truth and it applies to all properties.

Catdaddy SC

I think the 30% rule was ok 10-15 years ago. With the increase in coyotes and their predation on fawns, I think any property using the 30% rule will see a drastic decrease in their herd.

dkennedy

We killed 8 does and 3 bucks on 850 acres last year, the year before we killed 8 does and 1 buck. So I believe we're ok.

albridges

Obviously, the 30% rule is not and will not be popular. But it is the truth and it applies to all properties.

Jeff where are you getting this Data? I would like to read over it.

I know what I have killed and it would be overkill and your Data would say doing harm to the herd. Although I have seen the number of deer increase every year and I have taken at least 7 deer off of a 150 acre area a season for last 3.

ted_BSR

Data and methodology are the route to conclusion. There is no standard which will apply to every acre of the State. There is too much variation. There are acres of land that can support zero deer. And, there are zero acres which will support unlimited deer.

I disagree with the statement in red. Data and experimentation are the route to support or not support your hypothesis. There really is no "conclusion" in science. I absolutely agree with the rest.

common man

Sure this will make some people say yea right but on our 721 acre club we kill 30 + deer every year for the last 10 years. Club stays heavy populated but still can't get members.

ylhatch

350 acres we have taken between 20-25 deer a year for the last10 years

HOBO

PATTERSTDEER

We have 2400 acres 15 members and usually take right at 40 deer a season which comes out to about 6 per acre harvested.

....... You might want to recalculate your figures again!

By my calculations I come up with a harvest ratio of one deer per 60 acres.... (2,400 acres / 40 deer = 60 acres per deer harvested)

The number of members you have in your club does not have any relevance to the equation....

If you did indeed harvest 6 deer per acre then that figures out to a total of 14,400 deer killed on your 2,400 acres... (6 x 2,400 = 14,400)

-------<" ){{{{{*><

bandit819

We average 6 bucks, 8 pt or better 17 inch min, on our 550 acres in Dooly County. We also have been trying to take 10-15 does a year as none of the properties around us shoot does.

Geestring

I think each tract is different, some areas may only have 25-30 deer per sq mile while others may have 50+. I hunt two different clubs in the same county,in one club we have tried to trophy manage and we have only killed 8 bucks and maybe 6 does in 6 seasons. It consists of 420 ac but it is surrounded by a wma and when they have a gun hunt they do an awful lot of shooting, Im sure killing the very same deer we have let go. We are wondering if we are fighting a losing battle. We have had trail cam pics of deer in the 120-130 range and even one in the 150's the first year. We have let countless small bucks even small 8's go only never to see them again. There dont seem to be many does around and for the most part not alot of deer period. Now, on the other lease there are deer everywhere and some of the members are trigger happy but it doesnt seem to matter. It consists of 600 ac and we avg about 40 deer a year . My buddy and I got in that club about 4 yrs ago and would love to trophy manage that property but there are old timers who have hunted there for years and they have always killed what they wanted to. It doesnt seem to hurt anything as it not uncommon at times to see 10-15 deer at a time in the plots. WE dont want to step on any toes so I guess we will continue to try to trophy hunt and let them do there thing until someone with some authority can influence them. The adjoining properties do trophy manage so that surely helps. The first property I mentioned that adjoins the wma doesnt have much of a chance because the guys that hunt that wma DONT manage nothing, they shoot everything, or so it seems. Anyway, I know that deer densities can vary greatly in a ten mile range and what works for one property may not work on another.

Jeff Phillips

Any of these super deer factory leases got any openings???

one hogman

I agree with the biology studies and percentages can work most of the time , with that said ALL property is not the same. I hunted a lease with big mature trees, no cutover and very few thick areas, and hardly saw a deer or sign, No cover, very little browse, compared to another property with all cutover and small planted pines there are way more deer on the second property because of cover and food source.And as the trees grow it all changes.

Defcon15

We hunt 1100 acres and over the past 5 years, our deer harvest/acre is as follows:

2006: 1 per 125 acres
2007: 1 per 123.6 acres
2008: 1 per 42.8 acres
2009: 1 per 80.0 acres
2010: 1 per 86.2 acres

The large range in harvests is due to the doe harvest quota set for certain years. Depending on the doe population (based on sightings and trail cameras), we set a doe quota for each season. We have been trying to keep the doe:buck ratio between 2:1 and 1:1.

We have been hunting 200 acres is Laurens Co. for going on 14 years. When we bought it there were a fair number of does and a low number of young bucks. We asume it was a brown and its down property previous to our ownership. We shot alot of does (10 per year avg.) and harvested nothing mature or otherwise for bucks with the exception of a couple kids 1st kills that were 4's and 6's for about 5 year's. For the next 5 years we killed around 10 does and a couple mature bucks per year. For the last 4 years we have been harvesting 2 to 3 good bucks and around 5 does per year. Our deer numbers are good. We rarely make a trip without everyone at least seeing deer. The quantity and quality useing that plan on 200 acres:clap::clap: has worked well for us.

Jeff Phillips

Just as many already thought:

Everyone's club is special. They can kill 50% of the herd every year and miracle of miracles the herd rebounds with no ill effect. All the does on these special properties drop 4 fawns every year:rolleyes: