Batteries destroying Camera

Deerhead

My last three cameras (Moultrie M80 & Bushnell) were all damaged by corroded batteries. I opened my Moultrie M80 last night and all the batteries were corroded again. These were Energizer alkaline & Duracell batteries only 60 days old. I just bought the camera in August.

Anyone else have problems with batteries damaging their trail cameras?

MFOSTER

BANNED
I havn't had problem sounds as if some moisture is getting to them somehow are they sitting on something or putting them on trees for pics

Deerhead

I had this on out on a tree from September – November. I had it in a storage bad inside my house for the last four weeks. I did not notice any moisture in the camera or on any of the other items inside the bag. But I will double check the other items.

Killdee

Any device that takes alkaline batteries, you need to remove them when they are not in service. Even a couple of months can cause problems. Not saying this is your reason but it could very well be.

Summit259

I have several moultrie cams and they have had the same batteries in them since about June and I have not had any problems like that.

papachaz

i'd say the problem is you storing it in the sealed bag, as well as with the batteries in it. Sealed up it can't 'breathe'......if I was a betting man, I'd say it's because of being in the storage bag.

Also, even if it had no moisture in it when you sealed it, there is the possibility of condensation forming on the batteries

Killdee

Batteries contain corrosive chemicals, which causes a chemical reaction to produce electricity. Once you start using the the battery, the chemical process that releases the electricity is similar to the process that causes corrosion. If you stop using the battery, the corrosion continues at a very slow pace. It can corrode away the internal workings of the battery and cause a leak.

Humidity causes this to happen faster, because the moisture in the air can penetrate the battery, and react with the chemicals in the battery. This speeds the corrosion. So don't keep your cams in a humid area, like a laundry room or basement.

Replace weak batteries, because the longer you use them the more likely they are to leak.

curtcook

I had two m50 cams do the same thing. left on out till battery ran out and had corrosion. had another one i took batteries out of and went to use it 3-4 months later and it was corroded. tried to clean of with towel and put new batteries in and didnt work. I had just read aN article about coke being used to clean and eat grime away and thought what the heck. popped a can of coke open, poured it on there a few times and then rinsed them off and istalled new batteries. cameras are working like new....... now I dont drink cokes!!!!

spaceman

batteries

I will never use the copper top batteries. They will leak. Also never mix brands of batteries.

ssiredfish

Only time Ive ever seen it was when rechargables were used......

Deerhead

I had two m50 cams do the same thing. left on out till battery ran out and had corrosion. had another one i took batteries out of and went to use it 3-4 months later and it was corroded. tried to clean of with towel and put new batteries in and didnt work. I had just read aN article about coke being used to clean and eat grime away and thought what the heck. popped a can of coke open, poured it on there a few times and then rinsed them off and istalled new batteries. cameras are working like new....... now I dont drink cokes!!!!

I tried the coke trick and it worked great!

Thank you!

dwhee87

GON Political Forum Scientific Studies Poster
I had a stealthcam that worked fine all season, and when I pulled the camera, all was fine, but I turned the camera off and left the batteries in it. I went to clean it up and put it away for the season about 2 weeks later, and it was corroded, with battery juice all down in and over the circuit board. Didn't try the coke thing. Nothing else worked, so maybe it will.