Florida Panther (Puma concolor) in Collier Seminole State Park
they can be black

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Florida Panther (Puma concolor) in Collier Seminole State Park
they can be black

youtube it

I did. That was a video of a normal, tawny-colored panther. And no, there has never, ever, in recorded history been a documented black Puma concolor. Never. The geneticists even say that they don't have the gene to be capable of melanism.

Wrangler Hunter

I am confused. People on here are saying there is no such thing as a black panther, but on a-z animals.com they say the following. I added the red color for emphasis. Not trying to start stuff, just curious.

Panther Classification and Evolution
The Panther (also commonly known as the Black Panther) is a large member of the Big Cat family, native to Asia, Africa and the Americas. The Panther is not a distinct species itself but is the general name used to refer to any black coloured feline of the Big Cat family, most notably Leopards and Jaguars.
Then it says
Panther Anatomy and Appearance
The Panther tends to be dark brown to black in colour and is otherwise identical to the feline species to which it belongs.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I am confused. People on here are saying there is no such thing as a black panther, but on a-z animals.com they say the following. I added the red color for emphasis. Not trying to start stuff, just curious.

Panther Classification and Evolution
The Panther (also commonly known as the Black Panther) is a large member of the Big Cat family, native to Asia, Africa and the Americas. The Panther is not a distinct species itself but is the general name used to refer to any black coloured feline of the Big Cat family, most notably Leopards and Jaguars.
Then it says
Panther Anatomy and Appearance
The Panther tends to be dark brown to black in colour and is otherwise identical to the feline species to which it belongs.

Most of the confusion has been caused by TV and movies. When they show something called a "panther" on a movie, it's black. There are melanistic leopards, and melanistic jaguars. These are the only black big cats. And they're not actually black, up close, you can still see the spotted pattern. Black leopards and black jaguars are rare even where leopards and jaguars are very common-very rare mutants.

Most black leopards are found in Asia, with a very few in Africa. All black jaguars are found in the Amazon Basin of South America. A black leopard or jaguar would be one out of thousands of normally-colored ones. Neither animal lives in the United States. There are a few jaguars in the Mexican border states of the US, but they are all spotted. The black-phase jaguars have never been found outside of South America.

What causes the confusion is that in the southeastern US, "panther" has long been the common name for the cougar/mountain lion/puma (Puma concolor.) None of these animals are black. They are a tawny tan/gayish color. There has never been a documented black cougar/puma/mountain lion. Never. Not in hundreds of years. Only recently have people began to see "black panthers." The older generations who were around when panthers were actually common in the woods never saw or mentioned black panthers, because they knew what real panthers looked like. Only after panthers were extirpated from most of the southeast, and the only time people saw a "panther" was in a movie, did the tales of black panthers start.

REB 73

Here you go. Here is my challenge, word for word, along with the tools I will do the job with, if this legendary varmint is ever brought to me. Which I highly doubt...

Bring me a BLACK mt. lion-panther-puma-cougar, and I will take it to the Lee County courthouse yard, skin it with a flint flake, kindle a fire by rubbin` two sticks together, cook said critter over this fire, and use one of the claws for a toothpick when I`m done. This challenge also applies to a jaguar, spotted, or black as the tires on a truck, IF, you can prove without a doubt that it was wild, originated in the southern United States, and was not some escaped pet, fair, or zoo animal.

I believe that my words above are purty clear, and easily understood, but just so everybody understands, a BLACK one, not tan, not brown, not gray. Don`t believe me? Try me.

Don`t bring me a picture or photo. Bring me the critter. Oh yea, I get to keep the skin.

I`ve been waitin` a couple of years now, and I`m still waitin`...

Real easy to understand, and interpret. :pop:

Thanks Nic now we know were we stand.0:biggrin2: