Sumter County

bobcat

:banginghe :banginghe Everything is wet, very wet, seen two all weekend long,a 3pt. and doe,no shot opportunity on the doe.Were seen at 11:00AM.. Food plots are drowned.Not too good. :banginghe :banginghe :banginghe

Muygrande

Bobcat, where are you in Sumter county?? That's Home!! I can probably tell 'ya something!!

joe31709

I live in Sumter county too. I will be going to schley county in the morning and maybe sumter sunday afternoon.

I did goto Flint WMA tuesday and jumped a doe when i was putting up my climber. She was a shooter doe too.

Muygrande

In GA if she ain't got spots she's a shooter doe!!! ::huh: If i have a choice I'll take the biggest but a single is a done deal!!

bobcat

We are located off Shiloh church road!This past weekend we finally seen a few deer.I missed a big doe around 10:00am it was the 4th deer i had seen.That evening i seen five more deer but nothing big enough to shoot,had a yearling doe bed down around fifteen yards from the tree I was in.She stayed there about 2 hours untill the mama come by,out of range of course.Seen one more Sunday morning at first light about ten yards away but couldnt tell exactly what it was so I didnt shoot. Its starting to dry up a little bit.The creek droped about 2 feet from friday to sunday. :D

Michael Lee

Sumter County Report - 9/25/04

My dad, Mike Lee, arrowed a nice big ol' doe saturday afternoon in northern sumter county. He had seen 5 does from that stand and decided one needed to be removed! The deer were feeding through an area full of kudzu.

ML

bobcat

Glad he got one,I think I missed my opportunity in the early going of the season.We didnt see the first deer all weekend long.Did find a fresh scrape, the first of the season.I think they just trying to mark out territories,getting a little frisky maybe.Think I,m going to try a WMA this weekend just havn"t made up my mind which one to go to.Good luck all!!!!!!!!!!! :clap:

letsgohuntin

Rut?

When does the rut generally begin in this area ? Im right on the Lee/Sumter line about 7 miles west of Leslie. The reason I ask is I've only seen 1 or 2 fresh rubs so far... my other leases in the past generally have been a lot more active by now. This is my first season on this lease, so Im not sure of the buck/doe balance on the land.

bobcat

A member of our club finally broke the ice Saturday morning and killed a deer with his muzzleloader. :shoot: As far as the rut everyone in that area has told me that around November 5 to November 15,and the best from the 8- 13th.Last year was our first year and what we saw was in this general time frame.Cant wait till this weekend,my wife is going to give this deer hunting a try for the first time.I'm going to sit with her oppening morning with the camcorder and hopefully she can fill her first tag and will get the fever,then she will understand why she has been a deer season widow the last 4 years. ::gone: Good luck to all this weekend :shoot: :shoot:

Michael Lee

October 16th, 2004:

Saw a lot of deer in food plots and fields. Land owner hunted with my dad and took a 120 inch 8 pointer. We saw about 25 different deer with most of them bucks. Saw several 7&8 pointers that were too small.

Nice weather and lots of fun.

ML

Huntingdawg

Very slow this weekend

hunted Sat afternoon and didn't see anything until I was leaving and then this morning 3 of us went to try and shoot some does and we only saw one doe, which was missed. Believe maybe first or second time had not seen a deer out of the stand I was hunting in last 10 years...lots of skeeters...saw a couple of small fresh scrapes and small rubs

Michael Lee

Sumter Co: 10-23-04

Saw a nice young 9 point aggrivate some does Saturday morning in a cut corn field. Tried my Bleat in Heat can style call and the buck never looked up. Grunted at the buck and he got really scared and left the field after 3 grunts!

Saw 3 does in the same field on Saturday afternoon.

ML

letsgohuntin

Cranking Up

I finally saw a couple of scrapes on Saturday and foung one area with about 15 nice sized rubs... looks like things are heating up since last weekend.

Thunder

10/24

Dawg,

You must be hunting pretty close to me! I always see deer....except for this past weekend. ::huh: I hunted all day Friday, Sat, and Sunday morning. Did not see one deer all day Friday, or Saturday morning. Put up a stand in a spot I found Saturday afternoon. Had to try and find where the deer went. Spot was close to the swamp, back in about 100 yards off the 4 wheeler trail. Area that nobody hunts. Found a good trail with 2 scrapes and a couple of rubs. Sat. night saw a button. Thought it was a doe at first....good thing I waited a little. Turned his head and saw the bumps.

Sunday am it was drizzling, so I decided to slip along the logging road that splits pines and swamp. Had to try something at this point. At 8am, had a big doe come slipping out of the swamp into the logging road heading to the thick pines. 15 yards broadside. Took her to take the heat off, and put meat in the freezer.

Bottom line on my place.....too hot, way too many skeeters, and I ain't goin' back till some cooler weather comes in to get 'em moving!

duckbill

Thunder,
I hunt in Webster county and the reports from last weekend were that they were just getting started. Everybody agrees that it should be cranked up full bore starting tomorrow or Friday. I'm heading up tomorrow night. We've already had two nice bucks (9pt & 10pt) taken.

Thunder

Duck,

Thanks for the info!! Best of luck to you this weekend! :shoot:

Can't wait till Friday rolls around so I can hit the road. With the cold front due in Sat am........ :yeah:

WIGGINS

I'm New To This Site. I Live In Eatonton But Have Hunted In Sumter Co All My Life. Going This Weekend. Wanted To Know Whats Happening With The Rut.

JDUKE

Have not seen any evidence that things have fired up yet. But I have been told by some locals that things should pick up in the next few days after this front comes through.

Duff

Keep us posted how the weekend goes. Headed that way Tuesday.

Thanks

Duff