Boating/Radio question

Rob G

I plan on expanding my fishing options this year by venturing further out to the nearshore reefs: SAV, DUA, KC. My boat does have not have a VHF radio. Do cell phones have reception that far out and will a handheld VHF radio suffice or is it necessary to install a mounted radio?

Thanks

I would not rely on a cell phone. VHF radio is cheap. Channel 16 will get you help quicker than a cell phone. Invest in a VHf radio. It may save you life.

GSUbackwoods

I wouldn't take a handheld, I would get a mounted radio with an 8' antenna. I have cell service all way to the last reef at KC, but you safer to have a VHF.

capt stan

I wouldn't take a handheld, I would get a mounted radio with an 8' antenna. I have cell service all way to the last reef at KC, but you safer to have a VHF.

EXACTLY :clap: DONT do a hand held. And 8 ft antenna for sure best you can afford! the higher you can mount it the better..IE on top of T top for example.

Scallen2112

Thanks. Going to get mounted VHF with antenna.

Good choice to follow good advice. It's not only a layer of safety for yourself, but you may one day be in a position to save someone else and would never know if you didn't have a radio.

While getting my boating safety sticker from the Coast Guard Auxillary, they told my that West Marine would rent an EPIRB for a day, but I have not checked in on that.

Rabun

As others have said get the fixed vhf. I also have a hand held for backup/ditch bag as well as an epirb. If you need help on the water, the closest help is likely another fisherman and without a vhf, there is no way to contact them...unless you have their cell numbers...not. Cheap investments if life is on the line.

Vhf

I would get both fixed and handheld. If you have a working VHF, you are required to have Channel 16 on. I also read that if you hear a distress call, and no reply for 5 minutes, you must answer the distress call. Those manuals have some handy info.

Sharkfighter

I plan on expanding my fishing options this year by venturing further out to the nearshore reefs: SAV, DUA, KC. My boat does have not have a VHF radio. Do cell phones have reception that far out and will a handheld VHF radio suffice or is it necessary to install a mounted radio?

Thanks

Get the VHF, have flares etc, your first line of help is always other boaters in the area and you cant drive up and say excuse me what is your cell phone number, but you want to be able to reach sea tow or tow US etc so that where the fixed mount comes in.

Having Said that DUA I get cell phone reception. It is spotty at KC, and goes in and out. I don't fish sav but should be reception there.

I use Version and get about10 mi off shore cell phone service and KC is about 11 mi out.