fishing for whiting

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I've never caught hardly any back in the smaller creeks, usually inlets, and river mouths near the ocean is where I've caught the most. I usually catch trout, reds, silver perch, and flounder back in the creeks. I do most of my salt fishing in SC, though, so it may be different other places. Some of the river inlets I've caught a lot of whiting from would definitely be doable with a jonboat, though, especially at low tide.

Riplukelee

Back side of Tybee is perfect for a smaller boat and friends of mine are catching at least 20 every weekend

Scallen2112

Go heavier on the tackle than you think you need for whiting. The bonnetheads are back in the creeks right now and they eat shrimp - even small pieces of shrimp. I've had them break bass fishing equipment.

And be very careful in that little boat. A change in wind speed of just five miles an hour can produce some fairly large whitecaps if it is blowing against tidal flow. There have been several times we went from smooth to a little scary real quick in the 16' Tracker.

fuelman1

We caught a mess of whiting yesterday at the ballast piles next to Blackbeard Island. Also caught a few bonnet heads and I got a nice size black drum. Probably close to 10 pounds. That was a good fight on light tackle. The tide turned and wind picked up and the bite turned off. Beautiful day on the water.