2019 Turkey Season: 2 bird limit, 2 weeks shorter

Huntinfool

I'm probably in the minority here, but I would welcome that change with open arms. Georgia is not the same turkey state that it was 15 years ago. Increased hunter numbers along with exploding populations of all the things that like to kill poults and eat eggs is not a good combination.

XIronheadX

PF Trump Cam Operator !20/20
2 bird limit is fine. Shortening the season is foolish. I'll just leave the gun at home and hunt them with a camera for weeks on end.

If they want to improve turkey hunting make a 10 predator death requirement. Decoys, and enclosed blinds to be set ablaze. Make it turkey hunting again.

sowgabuckstalker

2 bird limit is fine. Shortening the season is foolish. I'll just leave the gun at home and hunt them with a camera for weeks on end.

If they want to improve turkey hunting make a 10 predator death requirement. Decoys, and enclosed blinds to be set ablaze. Make it turkey hunting again.

You prob start 2 weeks early anyways dont ya? :whip:

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
Funny. I bet most turkey hunters don’t kill but 1 a year in ga. A lot never kill one even using decks sitting in blinds. :)

XIronheadX

PF Trump Cam Operator !20/20
Funny. I bet most turkey hunters don’t kill but 1 a year in ga. A lot never kill one even using decks sitting in blinds. :)

I know of a bunch that sit in blinds. Otherwise they'd never kill one Kmac.

DRBugman85

Killing mature gobblers has no impact on the population predators do and cutting the season 2 weeks is Ludacris the hens started nesting the end of March in South Georgia. Looks like vacation will be the fist 2 weeks of the season instead of the 1st and last week next year 4 me.

Buckman18

I’m glad the State doesn’t base regs on forum posters... you’d think the deer and turkeys are endangered animals reading some of this nonsense.

Gut_Pile

take a ride through any part of the piedmont in march-may and tell me how many turkeys you see in fields.

I promise you it won't be 1/10th of what you would have seen 10 years ago.

Gut_Pile

And the state isn't basing this on forum posters. There has been a study going on in the SE for the past 5 years by several different agencies on what is causing the decrease in the wild turkey population here.

Tennessee has already started making changes. They have removed hen harvest during the fall season starting this year and they are going to a 2 bird limit next season. They are also looking at shortening the season.

Bama will be 3 birds by 2020

SC will be 4/1-5/1 and 3 birds state wide next season. It is currently 3/20-5/5 and 3 birds.

brittonl

If it happens, I think it’s reasonable & appropriate

Gut_Pile

I agree

I believe that killing gobblers in the spring doesn't effect the population, IF you have gobblers (ie jakes and poults) to replace the ones getting killed.

Right not we aren't having good enough hatches to replace the ones getting killed at a steady enough pace to keep the population stable. So....we need to shoot less of them.

Buckman18

And the state isn't basing this on forum posters. There has been a study going on in the SE for the past 5 years by several different agencies on what is causing the decrease in the wild turkey population here.

Tennessee has already started making changes. They have removed hen harvest during the fall season starting this year and they are going to a 2 bird limit next season. They are also looking at shortening the season.

Bama will be 3 birds by 2020

SC will be 4/1-5/1 and 3 birds state wide next season. It is currently 3/20-5/5 and 3 birds.

Shortening the season and reducing the limit will have a net 0% impact. None. Nada. Very few hunters tag out, and roughly half don’t even fill one tag. And killings hens in GA has never been legal in my lifetime.

Gut_Pile

I didn't say GA was removing hens. Tennessee is

Read the post, there has been a study done in the SOUTHEAST

You will be seeing changes coming from several states over the next couple of years.

Gut_Pile

The DNR and legislation can only control so much

They can't make people stop cutting trees on land they own. They can't make timber companies burn. They can't make people buy coon dogs and start hunting. They can't make people start trapping.

The one thing they can try to control is the amount of game taken and the time allotted to hunting said game.

Season length and bag limit reduction is really their only option to TRY to help.

It might not work, but we can't simply keep doing what we are doing. The turkeys are in trouble, and if you can't see that, you aren't looking hard enough.

bandaid

this will not help or hurt the population.

2 birds is a good season and hunting after May 1st is a crap shoot anyway.

This is not a solution to what has happened to the turkey population. Typical reaction that really should have their efforts put somewhere else.

Hunters who shoot 5 yotes in the offseason should big game hunt for free that fall and the spring the following year.

s&r