Hog war! Hog wash!

treadwell

Am I the only one that is a little upset about the article stating the Fed's wacked 400+ hogs on and around Di lane? I may have overlooked it, but did they just leave them to rot? My gawd, who on hear would love to have a year round chance instead of just a few short weeks to kill a hog? I know I don't have to say this, but, please set me straight if I'm missing something. Education is key here. Thanks.

j_seph

Hogs need to be gone, hunters alone cannot do it nor make a large impact. Imagine how long it would take for year long hog seasons to be able to take 400 hogs out. The population would continue to rise if hunters tried to do it. Taking 400 in a short time will for sure take some time before they can multiply to that number again. I agree that if they left them laying then it was waste. Could somehow be arranged to have those who wanted meat to show up shortly after hunt and go get em.

Mexican Squealer

Hogs are pests and need to be eradicated by all means necessary. I hope they continue doing this all over the state! You are now educated.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Feral hogs are one of the most destructive animals out there, and every one killed by whatever means is a good thing.

treadwell

OK...... then allow hunting in addition to these type hunts. Im thinking a few thousand hunters signed up for the hunter/farmer hunts that, from what I heard, no farms became available. (I know the arguments as to why they didn't, and agree). But, to say they need aradicating and not allow a license purchasing citizen to hunt them too is not right in my opinion. So they only kill 50, that's 50 happy hunters. There has to be a way to meet in the middle.

j_seph

OK...... then allow hunting in addition to these type hunts. Im thinking a few thousand hunters signed up for the hunter/farmer hunts that, from what I heard, no farms became available. (I know the arguments as to why they didn't, and agree). But, to say they need aradicating and not allow a license purchasing citizen to hunt them too is not right in my opinion. So they only kill 50, that's 50 happy hunters. There has to be a way to meet in the middle.
there are at least 231 days you can hunt hogs here, if you didn't get drawn on the 2 quota hunts then there are 225 days

Deer

Archery
Quality Buck & Antlerless: Sept. 9 -Oct. 11 s

Firearms
Q400 Quality Buck & Antlerless: Oct. 12-14 c | Oct. 26-28 c
Quality Buck & Antlerless: Nov. 9-11 c

Turkey

Q20 C Youth Hunt: Mar. 24-30 c
Q30 Mar. 31 – Apr. 6 c | Apr. 7-13 c
General Hunt: Apr. 14-May 15 s

Small Game & Furbearers

Aug 15-Sept 8, Oct 15-25, Oct 29-Nov 8, Nov 12-Dec 1, Dec 3-5, Dec. 7-8, Dec. 10-12, Dec. 14-15, Dec. 17-19, Dec. 21-26, Dec. 28-29, Dec. 31- Feb. 2, Feb. 4-6, Feb. 8-28 (except quail, see below) . Squirrel hunting area-wide during state season on dates open for small game. Other small game and furbearers on area South of Rocky Creek from Jan. 1-31. Rabbit, raccoon and woodcock hunting permitted South of Rocky Creek only Jan. 1-31. Rabbit hunting in designated areas only. Designated areas posted a check station.

C.Killmaster

Georgia Deer Biologist

The hog population has grown tremendously over the last 30 years throughout Georgia and it's done this despite having no closed season and no bag limits and day or night hunting on private land. I think it's pretty clear that hunting alone will not solve the problem, hence the multi-faceted approach used on Di-Lane (public hunting, trapping, aerial gunning).

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
The hog population has grown tremendously over the last 30 years throughout Georgia and it's done this despite having no closed season and no bag limits and day or night hunting on private land. I think it's pretty clear that hunting alone will not solve the problem, hence the multi-faceted approach used on Di-Lane (public hunting, trapping, aerial gunning).

I agree with this, I hunted Di-Lane several times the first few years it was open 20 something years ago and never seen a hog or any sign of them , never even seen any killed at the check station !

Todd E

Hunters cannot eradicate hogs.
Heli shooters can.

Hunters aren't needed. Therefore.......

#educated

Todd E

I will rephrase......hunters aren't(weren't) needed for the efforts at Di-Lane. No tactic could produce the results that a heli shooter can(did), in that time frame.

"Shortly after our conversation began, I realized my perspective of this aerial control effort as a “hog hunt” was inaccurate. These folks were all business. This was not a game where success was optional. Everyone was guarded during our conversation, but I was soon enlightened to separate hunts in Texas from their aerial operation. This wasn’t sport; it was another tool in the USDA and DNR’s arsenal to reduce feral swine populations. The goal here was to eliminate or minimize associated damage to agriculture and livestock, natural resources and native wildlife, including threatened and endangered species. Wild hogs will eat just about anything they encounter."

Buckman18

I’ve wondered why DNR doesn’t trap hogs on wma’s, especially in the winter with corn and cage traps? Perhaps they do, and I don’t know about it? Trap, kill, butcher, and take to the soup kitchen. Winter would be good when acorns start running out and the hogs double down on the plots.

shootemall

I want to know how to get the job of being the guy who gets to shoot from the helicopter. If I had to take a pay cut to minimum wage to have a job like that, I'd homeschool the kids, buy a trailer on some affordable rural land, and love life as I went to work each day.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
In the Great Smoky Mountains National Park here where I live, they have full-time employees who kill and trap hogs. These are nearly purebred Russian boars here that got started when a bunch escaped from a game preserve back in the early 1900s. Since the program started, they have killed nearly 14,000 wild boars in the park, and they are still thick pretty much everywhere in it.

timetohunt

DiLane is one of the major Quail hunting WMAs and they actually will run field trials with dogs there. They have feeders setup for the quail. Hogs are pretty destructive to any nests with eggs on the ground like quail and turkey. I would love to have had a chance to harvest some bacon there but I am totally for them eradicating them this way at that WMA.

C.Killmaster

Georgia Deer Biologist
I’ve wondered why DNR doesn’t trap hogs on wma’s, especially in the winter with corn and cage traps? Perhaps they do, and I don’t know about it? Trap, kill, butcher, and take to the soup kitchen. Winter would be good when acorns start running out and the hogs double down on the plots.

We do trap, but we don't typically use many of the cage traps anymore. We've been using more of the whole-sounder traps like the Jagerpro and Boar Buster because they are considerably more efficient and you don't leave trap-shy pigs on the landscape. Feral hogs can't be donated, they are under the same regulations as domestic swine and have to be inspected alive before slaughter and after.

j_seph

We do trap, but we don't typically use many of the cage traps anymore. We've been using more of the whole-sounder traps like the Jagerpro and Boar Buster because they are considerably more efficient and you don't leave trap-shy pigs on the landscape. Feral hogs can't be donated, they are under the same regulations as domestic swine and have to be inspected alive before slaughter and after.
Even have to be inspected if they were used to feed the inmates?

Latest posts