ATV Food Plot Drag

seabear2

Anyone have any good ideas for a homemade drag to cover seed. Looking for one thats not too heavy for one person to move, is easy to turn around with in tight places, and one that can handle the rough stuff in the woods.

Lets see some pics if yall have them also.

dixie

don't have a pic, but we've used a piece of chain link fence about 5-6 ft wide with good results, just tied it on with a cord

sowega hunter

I have a piece of chain link fence bolted to a piece of angle iron about 4 feet wide. Bolt a chain to the angle to pull it with.

Jake Allen

Another for the chain link.
I got a 8' wide x 10' piece from a fence company, (cheap),
and stapled a 4 x 4 on either end. 1/2" nylon rope as a yoke.
I can roll it up and carry crossways on the 4 wheeler and get thru
about a 6' gap. More narrow, and I drag it from one end as it is rolled tight and tied.
I usally drag the peas and heavy seeds with the ground hog plow and the chain link at the same time. Works like a charm.

JohnK3

Banned
Buddy of mine owns a share in an astronomy village in Talliafero county (www.deerlickgroup.com). When they were gearing up and just starting to plant the main field, they needed a drag harrow. Instead of buying a commercial rig, they went to a Lowe's and bought some fence top-poles, chain-link fencing and some chain to attach it to the tractor. Worked fine. I wouldn't count on it to work great year after year, but it certainly did the job for the one year they needed it.

I'll probably make one for my ATV this year using the same idea.

Gadget

atv drag by monroe tufline, much heavier than chainlink fence, works really well, I've had it for years, pricey but good.

Jeff Phillips

Before my bro-in-law got a big drag, we used a pallet with fencing nailed around it and added a kid or 2 on top for weight:bounce:

It got the job done pretty well.

dajudge43

ATV food plot drag

i used the chain link fence, but i attached a metal fence post( the flat type) on the side next to the 4 wheeler, then attached a 3/8 inch steel cable from one end of the fence post to the other, then with a cable clamp made a loop in the middle of the cable, that goes around the trailer hitch ball, which lets the fencing make the turns with out getting tangled, then attached a treated 4X4 post to the rear of the fencing with large staples, and after a little use, i attached another 4X4 treated post next to the other one, works fine, and all you have to do is roll it up when finished and strap it to the rear of the 4 wheeler and out you come, no problem .....:biggrin2:

Last edited:

Jim Baker

Staff member
don't have a pic, but we've used a piece of chain link fence about 5-6 ft wide with good results, just tied it on with a cord

Nothing works better for small seeds. Although I tie a piece of 4 inch pipe to the front to keep it from lifting and add some weight. ALso experiment witht the length of rope to make turning around easier. Tie rope or cable to each front corner allowing about 18" of slack at the middle, make a loop and tie on the pull rope there making sure it won't slide back and forth.

Auchumpkee Creek Assassin

Gone But Not Forgotten
i have one that i made from a old "METAL Box Springs " that i found in the woods 10 years ago, it's the ones everyone had in the 60's and 70's under the mattresse. Hook a small chain to 2 corners. and hook it to your 4wheeler. Works GREAT!!!!!!!!!

Derek

get a groundhog disc plow....then you have a plow and drag....just adjust the depth so it covers the seed! works like a charm.

ejs1980

I use a fence or pallet depending on what I'm trying to cover. I have a small cable I keep in my toolbox I pull it with. I also I have a rake I made out of rebar I use just keep forgetting it. It's way back in the woods.

huntininmilan

seabear2....what have you been using on them plots you put in?

Gaswamp

An old metal box spring

kdaw68

I have a 5ft landscape rake with every other tooth removed and plan to hang a piece of chainlink or expanded metal from the back side or it. The rake works good by itself but would like to improve it it possible.

Kevin

huntininmilan

A chain link type drag. I got into an area last weekend that had some stumps and it bent the crap out of my drag. I was in need of a new one anyway.

I gotcha.....I use my plotmaster on all my plots, to this day it's been very dependable...I really need a 6' plotmaster these days most of the plots I've been messing with are at least 2-3 acres in size instead of the strip plots i started out messing with! I've put mine thru pure heck and it's like the energizer bunny.