If you were going to TX...

Jim Thompson

Live From The Tree
To hunt Whitetails and Coyotes, what one rifle would you take?

Hunting normal TX styles and ranges out of box blinds or tripods or shooting houses.

Jim

DaddyPaul

Same thing I always tote! Encore in .270 Winchester sighted in to impact about 2.5"s high at 100 yards (shooting 130gr. SST's over 55 grains of IMR 4350). Couple this with a good laser rangefinder and you could easily handle the "sendero" shots. I don't like the recoil of the Ultra Mags and other "long range" rounds therefore I wouldn't shoot them as much in preparation which leads to poor shooting on game. JT you do need to take something a little bigger than the wimpy little 7-08 though. ;) Can you hear it? Encore, encore. Tell you what buy an Encore and you can take my 26" custom heavy taper .270 winchester barrel with you to Texas! Recoils like a .243 but hits much harder.

Kdog

7-08, or .270 would fill the bill for either.

Kdog

Handgunner

Same rifle I use in Georgia. Reminton 700 - 7mm Rem. Mag -- 150gr Winchester Ballistic Silvertips -- Leupold Vari-X III 3.5x10x50.

Are you looking to go to Texas, Jim? :clap:

leadoff

GONetwork Member
I would take my .270 A-bolt with same scope and bullet setup that Delton suggests.

And may I add one more suggestion: If you are in East Texas, be VERY careful if you pass through Nacogdoches!!!! I speak from personal experience! :eek: :)

::gone:

huntfish

Andy definitely hit the head with a backup gun. I travel alot with my guns to hunt both in cars and airlines and ALWAYS bring a backup or atleast have a backup available. Another item I ALWAYS carry is a my boresighter. If you know your gun is on, put the boresighter on and record the location on the grid. That way you can check your rifle when you get there and make quick adjustments if off. Remember to send one shot down range if you make any adjustments.

As for caliber, make sure you are comfortable with it and also know your distant limits.

Definitely slow down in the small towns.

Jim Thompson

Live From The Tree
BTW...Outfitter says no Ballistic Tips...

My current setup is a 7mm08 about an inch high at 100 yards shooting 139 SST's from Hornady. I feel entirely confident with this setup for at least 37 yards.

What now?

Jim

Jim Thompson

Live From The Tree
So in other words if I am real careful with my point:D then I can shoot the solid tip and have no issue...probably not noticing any difference in performance at my 37 yard shots.

Then I can take my shot gun for back up?

Jim

huntfish

At 37 yards, you'll definitely need a backup shooter. I'll load the truck and drive if you need a volunteer. :D

Ga-Spur

I would take a 30-06 for several reason. Most of the new calibers going up and down the caliber charts were developed from it. All the cross road stores stock the ammo . Most any rifle will do the job. Shoot it enough before you go so you will know where it is hitting. Good luck .

Trizey

I second Ga-Spur on the 30.06.

Jim, I'm assuming the reasoning for the ban on BT's is the supposed failure to get pass throughs? ::huh:

Jim Thompson

Live From The Tree
Trizey said:
I second Ga-Spur on the 30.06.

Jim, I'm assuming the reasoning for the ban on BT's is the supposed failure to get pass throughs? ::huh:

far as I know they did not say, and I will not ask until I am there hunting (dont wanna upset the fella:D)

Kinda like bans on mechanical broadheads I assume.

Jim

Trizey

Jim Thompson said:
far as I know they did not say, and I will not ask until I am there hunting (dont wanna upset the fella)

I understand completely! ;)

If you think about it once you get there ::ke: and then again when you get back ::ke: , I would be interested in the reason :D

DaddyPaul

I guess I have just been real fortunate in my shooting endeavors? I shot a 225lb. deer at a distance of 272 yards (Nikon rangefinder) and it blew slap through him nearly longways. Entered front of brisket and exited behind last rib. 4 deer and 5 hogs this year with SST's, none have left their tracks. But you can't argue with the outfitter now can you? For what it is worth the Rem Core-Lokt is a proven performer and they are easy to find!

bubbabuck

Live From The Tree
Andy ...are the SST's considered Balistic Tips????

By th way....I'll be backing Jim up from 37 - 67 yds.......further than that we gonna take us some pictures !!! :bounce:

bubbabuck

Live From The Tree
I'll have to find out ?? ::huh: ::huh: .....What would be the best killing machine in the 270wsm ???....as well as flatest shootin ???

bubbabuck

Live From The Tree
What ya think would be the most devastating bullet in 270wsm if you couldn't shoot the balistic tip ??? :confused:

Buzz

Jim - your rifle should do just fine in Texas. The 7mm/08 has plenty of power to down a deer at ranges of 250 to 300 yards provided you can place the bullet in the right spot.

I don't blame the guide on Ballistic Tips. I've never lost a deer with one, but I sure know plenty of people that have. The big problem is when somebody tries to shoot close range with a "Magnum" or any of the newer "WSM" cartridges. BT's were not designed to hold together with impact velocites much over 2800 fps. FWIW - I have not found the Hornady SST bullets to be any tougher than Ballistic Tips. My guess is that your guide will not approve of them either if he has a problem with BT's.

If I were you - I'd take the rifle you are already familiar with and buy a couple of boxes of Federal Premium 140g Nosler Partition bullets. The Partition is still a "yardstick" by which all other hunting bullets are judged. If it were me hunting I'd use a Barnes TSX bullet but they are not available factory loaded in the 7mm/08.