Wolves in squirrels?

lastofthebreed

When I was young, my Dad an I went squirrel hunting a lot. The season typically opened around the 15th of September so we made quite a few hunts early in the fall.

A lot of the squirrels we shot had lumps under the skin and, when we dressed our game, an ugly gray worm would be found to be causing the lump. I asked my Dad what these worms were called and he said "wolves". I asked him why the squirrels we killed later in the season didn't have "wolves" and he said the frost killed them.

I've since learned these are the larvae of the bot fly. The larvae leave the squirrel and fall to the ground to complete their life cycle.

My question is - Has anybody else heard of these larvae refered to as "wolves"?

:huh:

dawg2

AWOL ADMINISTRATOR
A lot of people call them Wolf Worms.

MKW

Yep

"Wolves" is the only thing that I've ever heard them called.

Mike

crackerdave

That's what I've always heard 'em called,too. They are delicious breaded and deep-fried to a crispy golden brown.

LittleBocephus

thats what my dad always called them.
shot one this past weekend with a big lump on its neck

packrat

wolves

That's what I've always heard 'em called,too. They are delicious breaded and deep-fried to a crispy golden brown.

McNuggets

Jody Hawk

That's why I don't like the season opening in August. Squirrells are full of wolves at this time, I seen one bowhunting a few weeks ago that had wolves. Most folks won't eat one that has wolves so it is thrown away. :huh:

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
Yep, wolves is the most common name. Found in all kinds of animals, squirrels, rabbits, even large game such as deer and in livestock.

Robust Redhorse

"Wolves" are what I've always heard them called.

I've been told that squirrels don't usually have them until about the first of September.

I killed a few during the first couple of weeks of the season that didn't have them, but I have seen wolves during the last few days on squirrels on my wife's birdfeeder.

ALLBEEF

Yeah - I've seen em' - and that is what I have always heard them called - They make me want to gag.