Wolves in squirrels?

Vernon Holt

Gone But Not Forgotten
When growing up on a farm, we would occasionally have a cow with Bots on her back. My Dad would place a layer of table salt over the infested area. The salt would penetrate into the sac that contained the Bot and would within a few days result in death of the parasite.

Jayrod, might you be speaking of a stanchion?? This is a device that we used in the barn for restraining a cow while being milked.

Snakeman

Jayrod, might you be speaking of a stanchion?? This is a device that we used in the barn for restraining a cow while being milked.
I was thinking more along the lines of a head gate.

The Snakeman

Attachments

• head gate.jpg
    head gate.jpg
    10.9 KB · Views: 6,081

dawg2

AWOL ADMINISTRATOR
When growing up on a farm, we would occasionally have a cow with Bots on her back. My Dad would place a layer of table salt over the infested area. The salt would penetrate into the sac that contained the Bot and would within a few days result in death of the parasite.

Mr. Holt, are "Wolves" the same thing that get into cats too? We had a cat got a "worm" right in the front of the neck where she could not even meow. That was a botfly too, right?

Vernon Holt

Gone But Not Forgotten
I have only seen them in rabbits, squirrels, and cattle. Have never seen them infesting a cat. I would suspect that a cat could well be infested with them.

There is a nasal bot that infests the nasal and sinus passages of animals. If the bot was in the facial area it could be a nasal bot, but if it was in the neck area it would be the more common bot.

Jayrod

Yep those are the restraints we had...ours was home-made though, made out of wood.

Dawg2 ...we had another cat get one in its neck...it didn't live a long and happy life like the previous cat described:(

Jayrod

deersled

I killed a doe this year that had them things in her lungs. When I dressed her I noticed a "grub-like" thing moving around in the bullet hole in her lungs:hair:. I spoke with a biologist and he explained the bot fly. Nothing wrong with the meat:bounce:. Matter of fact, I had some of her backstrap last night......mmmmmmm-mmmmmmm!!!! Never ate a squirrel with em, but I reckon it would be fine.

dawg2

AWOL ADMINISTRATOR
I have only seen them in rabbits, squirrels, and cattle. Have never seen them infesting a cat. I would suspect that a cat could well be infested with them.

There is a nasal bot that infests the nasal and sinus passages of animals. If the bot was in the facial area it could be a nasal bot, but if it was in the neck area it would be the more common bot.

It was on the front of the neck. This was years ago, and there was a nasty sore. Took it to the vet and it seems like they said it was some kind of fly larvae. This was nearly 20 years ago.
Yep those are the restraints we had...ours was home-made though, made out of wood.

Dawg2 ...we had another cat get one in its neck...it didn't live a long and happy life like the previous cat described:(

Jayrod
It looked really nasty. I am thinking it could easily kill a cat with infection if not treated.

abrannon

I have seen the nasal Bot flys in Hogs. As if the smell was not bad enough when you are cleaning the hog, to see "Maggots" falling out of the nose, is just great. It makes you want to fire up the grill right away.

I have seen the "Wolves" in squirels, and rabbits. After cleaning, the ones that dont have wolves I keep, the ones that do get "donated" to friends ;) .

Anyone want some rabbit?????