Hound bay dog

Drake38

I've always hunted with mostly black mouths and was wanting something with a little more nose so I recently got a Black and Tan pup does anyone have any
Experience with hounds I'm just a little worried about him hunting to far out

hoghunter007

what do you mean to far

we hunt curs as well but always bring a hound to find the hogs when movement is slow or we need to find a hog that hit a feeder or crossed a dirt road several hours before we were there. our hounds dont hunt real far without any scent at all maybe 600 yards but if there is a track that was made that night they may trail for miles until they jump after that game on get close and pack the blackmouths to the race.

dotties cutter

Back when my main hunting interest was hogs I always had at least one good hound and a plot to start the party with and we almost always brought porky home with us.

Drake38

That's exactly what I was hoping to hear we have been multiple times and known where the hogs have crossed and put the black mouths on the track and they just don't have the nose to track they do great once you get them to the hog it's just aggravating knowing the hogs are there and the dogs just can't track them down I can't wait for this pup to get some age on him and hear that good ol hound bawling on a hog what's some tips on training him I've always done a lot of coon hunting with dragging skins to a tree so I just assume to do the same with hogs we have a bay pen we work them in but I'm wanting to get him trained to track hogs and not every other critter in the woods

grouper throat

Most of my friends run hounds and that is what i had. Walkers, blueticks, plotts, etc they will find them and trail/bay just as good.