Beginner Cohutta Hog Hunting

I'm new here to GON, and I just want to be part of the family :biggrin3: .

A friend and I are going hog hunting this summer for the first time, actually hunting in general for the first time. We have agreed that we can't afford a guide so we would like to know where we can go hunt without a guide. Is Cohutta such a place. Main gear we will be taking: 30-06 rifle, marlin 1895 45 70 Govt. , and a 12 ga shotgun. Any tips/tricks would be great. We wont be going for another two and a half month so we will continue to do research until then. I hear that some farmers will let you come hunt hog on their land free, how do I get in touch with such farmers?

ga.farrier

Cohutta is not your best bet for your first hunting trip. It's steep terrain and without knowing the area it will require a lot of walking with little chance of seeing anything. I would buy snake boots and go south. You can hunt some of the swamps without going too far from your vehicle and the hogs are more plentiful.

Hogwild80

hogs are plentyful in the south but if its your first time hunting,i would suggest you go with someone who is experienced especially hog hunting but if u insist have fun wear snake boots get u a gps plenty of water keep the wind in your face eyes peeled stick to the wet areas if its hot and keep a lookout for a good tree to climb cause they can be purdy honory...

Cohutta is not your best bet for your first hunting trip. It's steep terrain and without knowing the area it will require a lot of walking with little chance of seeing anything. I would buy snake boots and go south. You can hunt some of the swamps without going too far from your vehicle and the hogs are more plentiful.

Thank you! Can you clarify "south" is there a particular wma I should be going to?

hogs are plentyful in the south but if its your first time hunting,i would suggest you go with someone who is experienced especially hog hunting but if u insist have fun wear snake boots get u a gps plenty of water keep the wind in your face eyes peeled stick to the wet areas if its hot and keep a lookout for a good tree to climb cause they can be purdy honory...

I guess its possible I might be able to find someone here on GON that might be interested in going at the same time but I really just don't want to pay for a guide. I think of it this way, someone in the world had to do it without being taught, and I am in even better condition with all of the information on the internet and great advice from you good GON folks.

Hogwild80

ocmulgee, oaky woods, altamaha all have good population im sure some of these other guys can point out some better ones i ddont hunt wmas often but ya better get ya walking shoes on and a lung full of wind,prob wouldnt be a bad idea to quarter them up in the field cause u aint gonna have much time before the meat turns bad, good luck and good hunting.

Danny Leigh

GONetwork Member
The simple answer is no. At least not in two and half months.

First thing you need to do is go to the DNR website or a sporting good store and STUDY the regulations. No hunting is allowed on most WMAs from the end of turkey season until August except for a few that have special hog hunts during the summer. Most all of these are going to be in SW and SE GA way south of Macon. Chickasawhatchee, Hannahatchee and Flint River are a few that have hunts in May and June for hogs and you can use rifles.

Starting in August there will be more WMAs with special hog hunts where you can also use rifles, but once small game season starts on Aug 15, you have to use small game weapons (rimfire rifles, shotguns with #2 shot or smaller, archery and muzzleloaders).

Trying to find a farmer that will just let you hog hunt is a waste of time.

Fort Stewart does allow hog hunting during the summer, but there's also a bunch of other regulations that go along with hunting there.

The simple answer is no. At least not in two and half months.

First thing you need to do is go to the DNR website or a sporting good store and STUDY the regulations. No hunting is allowed on most WMAs from the end of turkey season until August except for a few that have special hog hunts during the summer. Most all of these are going to be in SW and SE GA way south of Macon. Chickasawhatchee, Hannahatchee and Flint River are a few that have hunts in May and June for hogs and you can use rifles.

Starting in August there will be more WMAs with special hog hunts where you can also use rifles, but once small game season starts on Aug 15, you have to use small game weapons (rimfire rifles, shotguns with #2 shot or smaller, archery and muzzleloaders).

Trying to find a farmer that will just let you hog hunt is a waste of time.

Fort Stewart does allow hog hunting during the summer, but there's also a bunch of other regulations that go along with hunting there.
Thank you very much! This is some good information! Reading up on regulations again now. Thanks for naming some of though WMA and their possible times.

IM don't know much about down south I know theres some realy good hog hunting down there but up here in the mountains theres a few hogs to I have a good pack of dogs if you guys ever want to try it I have asked a few people on the form to go but no answer.

PMem!