Can Carp be caught??????

Hittin Bombs

Does anyone know or have knowledge to share about catching Carp?? I know of nice pond that is loaded with them suckers. I thought it might be fun to catch a few since they are quite HUGE!!! Thanks ahead of time for any info

dbodkin

Throw in some puppy chow and scoop them up....But what do y'all want with carp???? :eek:

huntnnut

GONetwork Member
You can catch them on whole kernal corn or dough balls using a hook similar to what you would use for crappie while fishing the bottom.

rip18

For a whole lot of fun, throw out some oat meal (a pint or so of plain, dry oatmeal). dbodkin's puppy chow should work too, but it is more expensive & I haven't matched the hatch. Then put a little oatmeal-sized nugget of white plastic worm on a bream hook that is tied to your fly rod...

Of course, you could also use a spinning rod or cane pole.

Handgunner

You could do the doughballs like some have said, but most people use a bowfishing arrow as bait... :D

I don't know of any doughball recipes... But I'm sure there's some here than can give you some. A buddy of mine used to mix oatmeal with cornflakes, cornmeal and water... I think, but don't quote me on it. :confused:

Handgunner

Bowfisher said:
We have good luck with fiberglass!! Doesn't matter if they are bitting, just force feed them.

Now THAT'S what I was talkin' 'bout! :bounce:

DanSmith

Banned
huntnnut said:
You can catch them on whole kernal corn or dough balls using a hook similar to what you would use for crappie while fishing the bottom.
what nut said!! use a big bass hook(sharp one) & make shure the hook is comepletely covered up with nibblets they will FEEL the hook & not pick it up!! (nibblets stay on better) then fish the bottom like catfishing.I let them run with it 7 swallow the hook then rare back on them ."WARNING" Better have a good pole!! :eek:

Hittin Bombs

Thanks guys for all the info!! I talked to a friend who said that he uses bread balls and puts vanilla extract on it. I think that when this rain passes we are gonna have us a little fun!!!!

E

Etter1

That's exaclty it. They eat everything. Doughballs, worms or corn, and they fight like ****.

Buzz

Green Giant "Nibblets" corn. For some reason I've had best luck with that particular brand of corn. Also use a fairly small hook with as little weight as you can get by with. As mentioned those suckers can fight and are a lot of fun on light spinning tackle.

goldentrout

I have a friend that has not reregistered yet on here, flyboy, that cathces them with a fly rod when he is not bowfishing for them, and says that they can put up a fight. He says you fish them just like a red. Fins them feeding, and cast in front of them with a crayfish fly. Went once trying this, but the water was to muddy to see them. I have caught a lot of them before on corn, and what a fight they were!!! :bounce:

GeauxLSU

And then...

What do you do with them? Or they edible or do you just release them or kill them? ::huh:
Hunt/fish safely,
Phil

Joe Moran

Somebody once posted a tasty recipe for them. I think that it called for nailing them to a board, load them up with lots of seasoning, cooking over an open flame, then throwing the carp away & eating the board. :D

They are alot of fun to catch, however, I have never intentionally caught one.

I posted a pic on here about a year ago, of an "unofficial stae record carp" that a buddy of mine & I accidentally treble hooked in the tail with a rattle trap. Man what a fight!

We were on Brooks Lake in Conyers in a little 2 man bass buggy, & that thing took us for a ride 1/2 way around the lake before we wore it out. We never could get it up into the boat, so we towed it in.

It weighed 55 lbs, & took 2 of us to hold it up for pics. We let it go immediately after.

Reckon how long it takes for an old **** eater to get that big? :D

Al33

Might as well post how I do it.

I use a very small treble hook off the end of a 12 - 14" leader with a swivel and slip sinker above the swivel.

For bait, you just can't beat a box of Wheaties. :) All you do is grab a fist full, stick your fist in the water so they will get soaked a bit but not too much, knead it into a ball. Pinch off a small bit and roll it into a smal ball and compress it on the treble hook. You only want enough to barely cover the barbs. The carp love it and it stays on the hook real good.

Cast it out and let it sink to the bottom. Leave a little slack in your line so you can watch it for bites. When they are taking the bait, you will see the line gently moving up and down as they suck the bait in and out of their mouth. If you see the line getting taut or moving to one side or the other, set the hook and hold on.

Good luck, it's a lot of fun, but can be slow so patience is a virtue here.

Al

stumpshooter

I used to fish with a buddy from Thomasville who had that carp fishing all figured out but I dont remeber the recipe for the doughballs. I do know he would boil up a contraption of cornmeal and molasses in a pot then we'd use small treble hooks to roll it onto. Course we poured out a can of corn sometimes and then used another can to put one kernel on and wait for'em to pick it up. Just dont use a sinker or hold your pole cause they can feel the weight.

Rebel 3

Recipe used in pay lake tournaments

grind up a couple of lbs of "sinking" catfish or goldfish pellets in a blinder till it is powdery. Put a few hand fulls in a bowl. Add some black walnut flavoring, cherry koolaid, garlic, some non crushed pellets and slowly add cream corn till it gets moist enough to make 2 inch balls.

Next take some stale corn pops or pieces of a styrofoam cup and put on a strong but small hook. Pack the bait around the hook and corn pops or styrofoam. When you throw it out do it gently. Once it hits the bottom all but the strofoam or corn pops will come off. All the stuf that comes off will attract the carp and the corn pops or styrofoam will make the hook float up a couple inches. They will school around this and suck up your hook. Once the hole gets baited up the action can be fast and furious. Works best in little or no wind.

This does work very well at times. I cuaght a 30 lb common carp using this method with styrofoam on the hook. Catfish will also bit your hook occaionally.

No. GA. Mt. Man

Gone But Not Forgotten
Carp

My oldest son is 23 when he was about 9 we went Trout fishing and took some corn it was real hot and we didn't have any luck. We wound up fishing under a bridge on Lake Nottely the Carp were rolling all over the place, we got the corn out, it was soured by this time. We caught Carp till our arms felt like they were falling off. My son looked over at me and said daddy we've hit bottom we are fishing for carp ..and having fun doing it. :fine:

quailchaser

I always used dough balls for carp. I added a little molasses to sweeten it and then added a good shot of whiskey. For some reason the carp loved this concoction. While at it take a shot of whiskey for yourself. :D
Carp are very good smoked (and I don't mean in rolling paper). ::ke: My Uncle used a sweet marinade he made, but all I can remember from the recipe is that it had brown sugar in it. I'm sure any type of sweet marinade will work fine. Just scale the fish, gut it, and cut the head off, then marinade it for about a day. Smoke in a smoker until done. After done smoking, peel the skin off and just pick the meat from the bones. Delicious! :clap:

vince

Collard patch was full of them

Last spring a co-worker and myself went fishing at Tuckahoe. We fished crickets under corks and he caught 15 carps and I got 4.they were between 3-5 lbs each and pulled like crazy. Thing was we were fishing for bream and bluegills.