Sweet potato slips

Anybody know a good place to buy slips from? I'm adding sweet potatoes to the homestead this year. I normally buy a bunch. I still have about 50 potatoes left over. I was told I cannot start slips from these because they were possibly sprayed to prevent regrowth. Thoughts?

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
they will grow. Just put them in a dark warm spot until they start to bud out, the cut off the part with the bud and bed them until you get a slip big enough to transplant

some grow slips in water by hanging the tater with a wire. To much trouble for me

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
Call Athens Seed in Watkinsville. If they don’t have any they will know who does.

JackSprat

The ones we buy at Kroger will sprout.

Cut one in half, and put the cut side in a jar full of water in a sunny window. Use toothpicks to suspend it in water.

You better have them fenced in good. Deer will walk right through peas and past corn to get to sweet potato vines. I know that from experience.

bick27

I bought mine from tatorman as well, but they had really nice slips at Home Depot yesterday morning in Holly Springs so I bought a 6 pack as well to do a comparison. I planted 36 Beauregards yesterday. This is my first year trying sweet potatoes so any advice is appreciated.

I might try home depot. I went ahead and put an order in to "tator man" a few days ago, so we will get them in the ground, too.