electronic ear muffs hearing protection hunting/shooting

bass player

Hey guys.
If anyone has used or compared these I appreciate some feed back. I am looking at buying a pair to 1. help my hearing when hunting, 2. use at the sporting clays range as hearing protection/help hearing the trap machines and range commands. I have been comparing on the web, the Pro-ears gold series(pricey but if they cut back on background noise and sound good would be well worth the $279 or so, the Peltor P7, the Walkers Game Ears Qaudmuffs, and several others. It's like "buying a stereo".
It's hard to try them out, the local stores that I know of don't stock many. Thanks.

rjcruiser

My bro-in-law has some of the $60 ones and they work awesome at the range. Never used them in the woods, but saw them on sale @ Bass Pro for $30-40 before Christmas.

nkbigdog

I am a range instuctor for North Georgia Law Enforment and I like and use the Peltors. Draw back is the AAA batteries can be hard to access. But worth the trouble

ben300win

Had a pair of the Walkers Quads. They were nice but did not block enough noise for me. Thought that they would be good for a prarie dog shoot but ended up going with another pair after that. I have had good success with the caldwells from midway. They do not amplify the sounds as good as the walkers but they are not far from it and about 1/8 of the cost.

bandit819

I have used Peltor, tac-6 I think, for the last 10 years. They are the ones you can wear a hat with. I shot them on the sniper range, I use them in Swat competions and dove shooting. I have used them for Deer but have not noticed that they amplify sounds well but they sure don't muffle regular noise. For the money I would go with Peltor.