two tone deer

i got this picture earlier this year, could someone tell me why they are different color does one have a winter coat and one a summer coat or does age have anything to do with it?

Attachments

• two tone deer.jpg
    two tone deer.jpg
    151.6 KB · Views: 1,742

Uncle Dawg Bone

think you are right on the summer / winter coat. They look funny when they are shedding. Nearly like the mange on a dog.

mrbuck50

That darker one could be a melanistic deer. Look it up. They are VERY rare. My 'ole huntin buddy from Ohio just took a melanistic buck last year. We called him Chocolate because he was just a darker brown all over and never changed color with the seasons. Watched him on cam for 3 years. I am betting thats what you have here.

nhancedsvt

Banned
That darker one could be a melanistic deer. Look it up. They are VERY rare. My 'ole huntin buddy from Ohio just took a melanistic buck last year. We called him Chocolate because he was just a darker brown all over and never changed color with the seasons. Watched him on cam for 3 years. I am betting thats what you have here.

A melanistic deer is more black. That doe is not black, she's just an ordinary doe.

DSGB

It could be the difference in where the deer bed down. I'm guessing the lighter one spends most of it's time bedded in a sunny area like a clearcut.

I saw a buck year before last that was much darker than the others. He was almost chocolate colored. I've seen several different "shades" all together, as well.

Here's one I took from the stand a few years back.

Attachments

• P1200056.jpg
    P1200056.jpg
    186.9 KB · Views: 1,102

jonjon528

If I saw the one on the right by itself, I would say it had a summer coat. If I saw the one on the left, I'd say winter coat. I find it odd that they were pictured at the same time in totally different coats though. After say, October, were there any deer pictured on that camera that still appeared to have a summer coat?