Dog training question?

Boar Hunter

Can anyone give me some advice on training dogs with shock collars? I have a 14 week old black mouth cur that is extremely smart and very trainable. My main problem is getting her to stop the chase and to come back after chasing another critter. She does very good with sitting, laying down, etc.

Would a shock collar help?

NCMTNHunter

I wouldn't shock a dog that young. I don't shock until a dog is solid at the command you are shocking them for disobeying. Work on the come command with a check cord until the pup is solid. At 14 weeks I wouldn't push anything too seriously.

Last edited:

DogHunter4Life

we usually dont shocking until around 7 months to a year..just depends on the maturity level of the pup.

molly

Shocking a Pup

I have a plot puppy that's six months old now...but when she was 13 months I shocked her twice I use the Alpha 100 (you have a range levels 1-18) I shocked her on level 4 just enough to get her attention. Now when I tone her she does what she is suppose to do. she figured it out real quick....when you command her with the tone she knows if she doesn't respond whats next.

DogHunter4Life

sounds like a good job training.. they learn quick..heck you put that shocker around my neck and shock me and i'll do whatever you want :biggrin3:

I have a plot puppy that's six months old now...but when she was 13 months I shocked her twice I use the Alpha 100 (you have a range levels 1-18) I shocked her on level 4 just enough to get her attention. Now when I tone her she does what she is suppose to do. she figured it out real quick....when you command her with the tone she knows if she doesn't respond whats next.