Chokes now obsolete...anyone getting 5.5" @ 20 yds?

That is an amazing pattern you described. Was that a 40 yard pattern average or the result of a single round fired?

How about some details....

I can get 8 000 in a 8 inch circle, at 40 yards.. Rem. 1100 2 3/4" 30 inch full choke barrel..

Pattern buckshot is NOT complicated.. Just figure out what gun you want to use, try some different chokes with some different loads and see what you like..

Southernhoundhunter

I saw the federal flight control at bass pro today. The box listed it at 1145 fps which is considerably slower than other 2 3/4 00 buck

Last edited:

buck1

That is an amazing pattern you described. Was that a 40 yard pattern average or the result of a single round fired?

How about some details....

Thats a pattern, I shot about every 2 3/4 buckshot available in 0, 00, and 000. This was the best consistent pattern I found. I have a 28" Mod. barrel that is about 3-4 inches more in diameter on the patterns. But I probably spent around $75 on shells to find whit it liked the best. When I do pattern a gun, I find a good single pattern, then send 5 down the gun, just like as if I was hunting. But I like to stay with choked barrels, instead of screw in chokes if possible. Seems to pattern better to me, but thats just personal preference.

Southernhoundhunter

jeffrey

I got the best patterns with the flight control federals when I patterned my shot gun also. I also learned those 3 1/2 inch black winchesters will jar your teeth.

ishootlittlebucks

You got that right. I was alternating between them and rem last year. When I unloaded on a buck, the second shell was so much louder and kicked so much harder, that it made me lose my train of thought for a few seconds. I thought my gun blew up!

If you're gun shoots them though, they are just as bad on the other end.