Fishing Black Water Cypress Ponds

spencer12

Anyone here have any experience fishing in those nasty black watered cypress ponds, that have miles upon miles of grass,lillies, cypress trees? Typically these ponds are called "mill ponds" and are basically (in my opinion) swamps. How do you guys fish these for bass? How do you find fish when everything looks exactly the same and is thicker than a kudzoo patch. Any tips will help

167WhiteTAIL

Catch live bait from the pond, golden shiners (bread on a hook, similar to bream), use bream also. Pull weightless worms/ frogs across the pads. Flipping jig around the trees/ stumps.

Obviously weedless is what you want.

If this doesn't work, go back the next day and do it again, and again...

T-N-T

Those nasty watered ponds produce better fishing than anywhere I have ever fished.
I throw a lot of plastics at stumps. Also helps to know where structure is in the wide open spaces too.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
I use the old lures from my childhood. Snagless Sally`s, Johnson Spoons, weedless frogs, such as that.

They still work as good now as they did back then.

Tmpr111

I grew up fishing these types of ponds / lakes. The hardest part can be locating the fish as everything in these places looks fishy and worthy of throwing to... Once you learn the place it gets easier of course, but I look for any current of any kind. Whether that be from a drain, or a big bend and especially any place where there's runoff like a creek or ditch feeding water into the pond.

I'm not a live bait guy so I typically use a Swimjig or a Pitboss type plastic for under water, and the obvious Topwater frogs for on top. The Swimjig is versatile as it's basically weedless and can be swam shallow just under the lilypads etc or even flipped.

I'm not against throwing a Spinnerbait through the pads either, and a crankbait outside of them. Reaction Baits for me!

Wheeler2

My father in law fishes what he calls an oxbow lake off the Altamaha. Land locked swamp lake that gets flood water every now and then. I think he fishes it the same way you would a farm pond. Rooster tails, trick worms, etc....

Latest posts