Oconee National Forest

DEERFU

I did report it to Jasper county sherriff but they acted like they didn't care so I contacted DNR. They said they had trouble before with this guy so they were gonna have a talk with him.

Bud, I know your not scared of the guy but you know those woods like the back of your hand. There's a lot of good areas around there to hunt without letting him waste your valuable time. Might be best to move on and deal with him when the good hunting is over. Best of luck to ya anyway:cheers:

JimmyD

I have been looking for some help with figuring out the hunting in the oconee forest. I have a small tract of land just inside of butts county, but right across the river it is showing as owned buys government. I posted this in the deer hunting forum and they said it must be oconee.
It is just south of Hwy 16 from Jackson to Monticello. Are you guys familiar? If so how is the hunting.

mattech

Deranged Throat-Puncher
I have been looking for some help with figuring out the hunting in the oconee forest. I have a small tract of land just inside of butts county, but right across the river it is showing as owned buys government. I posted this in the deer hunting forum and they said it must be oconee.
It is just south of Hwy 16 from Jackson to Monticello. Are you guys familiar? If so how is the hunting.

I posted in your thread, not sure I'd youbsaw my post. That is oxnee national Forest area, not piedmont. Check the jasper county tax accessor's site and look at the boundries on google earth.

JimmyD

I have never hunted national forest land that wasn't in a WMA and it seems the rules are a bit hard to come by. Just to confirm, I only need a permit and I can walk in anytime and hang a stand? The other rules are standard ga hunting rules? Do many people hunt around that part?

Sorry for all the questions

7Mag Hunter

I have never hunted national forest land that wasn't in a WMA and it seems the rules are a bit hard to come by. Just to confirm, I only need a permit and I can walk in anytime and hang a stand? The other rules are standard ga hunting rules? Do many people hunt around that part?

Page 67 of the 2014 Regs...Fed 13..Oconee Natl Forest....
Ranger station on Hwy 441 between I-20 and Eatonton
has very good maps for about $5.00.......Ranger station
is close to Rock Eagle entrance off 441....
Map shows all Forest svc roads and hunt camp areas...you
can set up camp outside hunt camps, if you want to...

Don't need a permit to hunt ONF, just big game license and deer tags...

35 Whelen

Regulations on page 67 of the Georgia Hunting Season & Regulations 2014-2015 booklet:

â–  OCONEE NATIONAL FOREST

DEER

ARCHERY » Either Sex: Sept. 13-Oct. 10 » During Firearms Deer season, archers
must follow Firearms either sex dates
on the National Forest.

PRIMITIVE » Either Sex: Oct. 11-17

FIREARMS » Buck Only: Oct. 18-24, Oct. 27-Nov.
26, Nov. 29-Dec. 7
» Either Sex: Oct. 25-26, Nov. 27-28,
Dec. 26-Jan.

TURKEY
Mar. 21-May 15

SMALL GAME
Aug. 15-Feb. 28

FERAL HOG
Aug. 15-Feb. 28. Small game weapons
only. No night hunting. No hunting with
dogs.

SPECIAL REGS
No dog training Jun. 1-Aug. 14. Pursuit
of bears with dogs prohibited. Pursuit of
feral hogs with dogs may occur only Aug.
1-Sept. 6; Jun. 2-Mar. 19; May 1-23 during
legal daylight hours. Prohibited: Transportation of any loaded weapon in a motor vehicle.
Possession of alcohol when
hunting. Placing, leaving, or depositing
and food, bait, or garbage in a manner
likely to attract or concentrate any wildlife,
whether for purposes of hunting or viewing
animals. Failure to properly store food
or garbage so as to prevent access by
wildlife. Coyotes may be hunted during
open seasons with weapons restrictions
for game species in season. No night
hunting. Electronic calls may be used.

panfish

Ok Deerfu you might be right, He has taken his bobcat and blocked the pull off where I usually park. Their are not many other places to get off the road out their. He blocked an area up by the church. But it all depends on how much madder I get.

bowyer

Give him a copy of the Ga. Hunter Harassment Law. Here is a link:
http://www.southeasternoutdoors.com/outdoors/hunting/harassment/georgia-hunter-harassment-law.html

Georgia Hunter Harassment Laws

(Ga. Code Ann. § 27-3-151 (1997))

OFFICIAL CODE OF GEORGIA ANNOTATED
TITLE 27. GAME AND FISH
CHAPTER 3. WILDLIFE GENERALLY
ARTICLE 6. INTERFERENCE WITH LAWFUL TAKING

§ 27-3-151. Activity prohibited
(a) It shall be unlawful for any person to:

(1) Interfere with the lawful taking of wildlife by another person byintentionally preventing or attempting to prevent such person from such lawful taking of wildlife;
(2) Disturb or engage in activity tending to disturb wildlife for thepurpose of intentionally preventing or attempting to prevent the lawful taking of such wildlife;

Video or record any contact you have with him involving threats or interference and present it to law enforcement.

Fire Eater

I have had trouble with persons owning land next to Chattahoochee NF not liking my use of public land. It got pretty ugly.

Don't call the local sheriff, they are probably friends of the landowner - call DNR or if Oconee NF, the federal ranger. They will straighten them out.

Hunter harassment is a crime in Georgia.

panfish

ok iv not hunted this place all year. I took off yesterday and went out there. when I came out the woods this guy was wateing at my truck and was yelling at me told me I cant use firebreak to walk. funny thing is I don't there . I stay 25 yards away from his line. he started telling 2 friends last year to find some other place to hunt.. that's why iv stay away. because I get way to mad.. but he has push to much.. I was going to let him have his way.. but not any more.. sorry I just have to vent:mad:

glue bunny

My property is surrounded by natl forest with a firebreak also. The firebreak is on natl forest and has at least a 3 ft. Buffer dividing it from mine. So if you walk that particular firebreak you are on natl forest and that guy can't say you're tresspassing. My 15 acres of paradise is posted but I've seen hunters, hikers and horseback riders on the firebreak and never had a problem.